Sign in to follow this  
kicked by a horse

d 160 pto help!

kicked by a horse

alright dysfunctional crew, i need some help.

My horse came up lame, was not wanting to start. cleaned out the carb and replaced the float, which did the trick, but now the pto will not disengage! upon start up, the pto runs, regardless of the switch position.

The manual says there is no clutch adjustment. So I started taking it apart. I should note this is a little outside my comfort zone as to what exactly I should be looking for. I did check over the wiring and switch and all seems to be ok. Manual also says check the stator, but one of the heads of the screws that holds it on is stripped and I could not remove it and would not be sure what exactly there is to check. i did try and alter the srew to remove it but to no avail, as you can see in the picture, did not want to go any further with it unless i must. I am not sure how to tell if the clutch friction surface is worn or not. Here are some pictures, can anyone comment on them?

post-8427-0-38460800-1353539075_thumb.jppost-8427-0-82810100-1353539096_thumb.jppost-8427-0-85426200-1353539109_thumb.jp

Could it be the brake adjustment? I need to track down a feeler gauge to follow the adjustment procedures and figure out which part is the brake flange and where the shims fit in, the diagram in the manual does not lable the individual parts.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

roscoemi

Heat on that screw can do wonders to break the stailmate.

TT

Is the circuit dead when the switch is turned off? Does the bearing in the pulley side spin freely? (your first picture)

The 'stator' (field coil) is normally either good or bad. (electrically) If you have to remove it, try an impact driver. A little valve lapping/grinding compound on the end of the screwdriver is an old-school trick to keep the screwdriver from slipping.

KC9KAS
31FcT3Y52uL._AA160_.jpg Try this manual inpact driver next time you have a problem screw.

kicked by a horse

I should have thought of applying some heat to that screw. TT i just cheked the bearing, i can hardly turn it by hand, so much so i didnt even realise it was a bearing till you mentioned it. Is that my next item for an ebay search? Not sure what you mean by is the circuit dead

TT

"circuit dead" = make sure that the switch is actually breaking the circuit for the power to the clutch. Sometimes a switch can come apart internally, and - even though it's in the "off" position - still be supplying power to the device.

I'm guessing the bearing is the problem though. If you can get it out of the pulley, you should be able to match it up at a parts store, OPE or farm equipment dealer, etc.

Kelly

If you can't find a bearing get with me, I have a complete PTO off a D-160

kicked by a horse

Thanks for the quick replys, i will take a closer look at the switch but the bearing seems like the issue. Hope i can get this resolved in time to get my snowblower on and tested before it starts snowing!

As a side note, i just made a two year supporter donation, i figure it is the least i can do to support the community that has saved me from having to pay for service to keep my horse in good health!

Trouty56

Sorry Kicked by a Horse (sounds like a name for an Indian....lol), I don't have an electric pto. Looks like these guys have you straight. Best that this happened now than in January......

dbartlett1958

Before trying to press the bearing out, make sure you support the area around the bearing properly. That piece is cast steel and can bend, which will cause the face not to mate with the other half when everything tries to engage.