Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

What Are The Wheelhorse Weaknesses???

truckin88

Humm...the AMC years '74-'82.

I think AMC built crappy Harleys during those years also. I guess AMC didn't make anything nice!

The early to late 70's C series are some of the most rugged, well thought out, and simple designs of any GT I have ever seen or owned. Give me a C-100/C-120/C-160 with and 8 speed any day....

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:ROTF:

Tankman

And no one mentions the medical / mental problems? Scared to own up?

Like some drugs, Wheel Horse tractors (WHA aka Wheel Horse Addiction) can be very serious (unlike the green 'n yellow thingys). WH "Got Dirt!"

Most want more and more and more. "Honest Honey, this'll be my last Horse. I promise!" Haaaaaaaa! See your psychologist now!

And a few bumps on the head from the Mrs. too! And now the kids want their own!

Shame on Wheely Horsey for doin' this to us!

How's 'bout gettin' up at all hours to fix this, tweak that? Red paint all over your clothing, everywhere!

We've all been there! WHI (aka Wheel Horse Insomnia), y'all know that one!

And, let's not leave out the cost of film. Printing all those pictures can

be costly! Cost of travel, "Honey want to take a short ride? The (parts) tree fall colors (and a D series, shhhhhhhhh) are great!" 250 miles from no where! Fairs? Ha! Takin' the wee little ones to a WH jamboree, another tractor pull, a WH auction? Another set of (a few more sets is more like it) great decals from the Vinyl Guy?

Forum members show all of the above ailments during their WH "careers."

More Tylenol®? Not a chance, WH wheel weights! Yeah! Feelin' better already!

Does your health insurance cover Wheel Horse Addiction (known as WHA). No? Whaaaaaaaa!

"I'll be right back Hon! Runnin' to the bakery for coffee cake." (pickin' up more Regal Red at Home "Cheapo" really, lyin' again). Don't forget some RustOleum Crystal Clear........while you're there!

• Like 3

Ken B

i only have one complaint eaton 700 hydro pumps in 516 & 518 tractors. when you bought these new they were over 4000.00 dollars & you arent suposed to use groung engaging implements. stupid! Jay

There it is! I was scolling down to see if anyone else posted this and low and behold. I couldn't agree more with that comment.

855ownerJoel

Great machines when origional owners, like every company when bought out they cheapen up the quality to make more money. A shame....... I own pre and early 70's. They seem pretty strong. The hydro's, I just steer clear of. Have owned a couple in past. I like a solid manual transmission. They hold tend to hold up to hard work if cared for properly and not abused. Wheel Horse Power......

midnight rambler

i will come get all the nice looking AMC era tractors out of everybody garages just so you dont have to look at them any longer. i just want the nice ones though, no junk

Butch

That was AMF, Butch -- but yes, same principal. :hide:

Damn. I shoulda known that because I always think of bowling and AMC didn't build bowling equipment!! Duh!

Rollerman

Unless I missed it already mentioned...the front axle pin.

These always seem to break at the tab that holds them in place.

Not a big deal, but over time can cause excessive wear & it effects the steering.

Ken B

I think that the whole idea of having the engine between yer legs on the RJ's and Suburbans is no doubt a potential problem and a weakness. Many thousands of front rims were claimed by the calcium that was put in them. And that brings us to why the calcium was put in there, without weight on the front end you will flip one of these if you are caught off guard. Shoot, the first time I ever rode a nut roaster I flipped it. I let the clutch out just a little too fast on a slight incline and that thing went up up and away so fast there was no time to react. I'm layin there on the ground with this Suburban laying on top of me with this WTF just happened look on my face I'm sure. My biggest concern was that none of my neighbors saw that thing on top of me! Many of these things get restored or brought back to life with no weight being put back on the front of the tractors. Don't get me wrong, I love my Burban's and RJ's but yup, design flaw and a weakness right from the very start. I'm quite certain that MANY of these have been flipped thru the yrs. and not everyone got off as easy as I did.

squonk

Damn. I shoulda known that because I always think of bowling and AMC didn't build bowling equipment!! Duh!

I think AMC did build bowling equipment. Powder blue women's bowling balls and powder blue Gremlins :laughing-rolling:

Racinbob

Come on. Gremlins weren't all that bad. My wife had one in the 70's. Powder blue to boot. Decent little car but it was no match for a Caddy when she rear ended it. No harm done to any of the occupants.

Ken B

I think AMC did build bowling equipment. Powder blue women's bowling balls and powder blue Gremlins :laughing-rolling:

I think you guys are getting your AMC's and AMF'S mixed up. I'm not sure if AMC was into bowling but I know for a fact that AMF was.

BOWTIE

I FORGOT ONE MORE THING. THOSE CHEAP VINYL SEATS THAT CRACK IN NO TIME. BUT MOST TRACTOR MANUFACTURES USE THEM.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

WheelHorseSteve

The tie rod ends on most of them (sans 520H) -- they pop apart after years of wear. Not a particularly solid design IMHO.

Also, weak headlights on the C-series. Love the integrated idea... but without even a reflector you're not looking at a lot of output there.

truckin88

the clutch gas spring on later model 8 speeds....so that you don't pop the clutch and cause a wheelie, well it dies and you can't disengage the clutch......the old manual spring was way better....probably not as safe....but you never had to replace it.

squonk

I think you guys are getting your AMC's and AMF'S mixed up. I'm not sure if AMC was into bowling but I know for a fact that AMF was.

I was being sarcastic and picking on a well known AMC Fanatic. Plus I had to paint a powder blue Gremlin in college. I remember working on cars for a living well. AMC's came in with a Ford engine and trans, Chrysler rear axle, and GM electrics all on the same car! :jaw:

Racinbob

truckin88, that stupid gas 'shock' is easy to eliminate. I did on my 2005 Classic GT. It drove me nuts with the delay. Just like an older model now.

BOWTIE

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED ON THE 300-400-500 SERIES TRACTORS THE HEADLIGHT MOUNTING BRACKET. ON THE BACK SIDE THE SHEETMETAL IS USUALLY CRACKED FROM STRESS ABOUT 3/4" WIDE ( LEFT SIDE ). IT THINK IT MAYBE CAUSED BY PUSHING ON THE HOOD TO GO BACKARDS, IT MAKES THE HOOD FLEX.

BOWTE IN OHIOI

Don1977

Some of the things were improved on the later models of the C-series. They did add reinforcing to the transmission mount, they should have used thicker metal and welded reinforcing washers to the bolt holes. Another thing was the washers and carter key holding the fan gear they later added a nut for adjustment. I had to replace my worn steering shafts because the gears were rounded off. The old crimped tie rod were a pain when they got worn. Had to stop mowing and beat them back together too many times. Front wheel bearing could have been a lot better with out a big difference in price. The last thing was rear axle and hubs should have been keyed and tapered and provided with a nut and lock washer. Then we wouldn't have the hubs sliding around destroying key ways and axles. The last thing that couldn't be fixed at the factory was between the ears of the owner using Wheel Horses for thing they were not design to do. I've done this my self and had to replace bearings in my 8 speed. My Wheel Horse is used mostly for mowing and have not had trouble with the transmission mount. The other things I have fix better than the original and the wheel hubs back to original on my 1977 C-120. It's good for another 35 or 40 years. If the 1533 bearings hold up. I run my transmission a little over full but I want it well oiled. I keep it in the basement that never get below 64 degrees so stiff oil won't be a problem in cold weather.

SNYFIX

The paint problems in the 80's was due to a change in the chemical dip used to take the shipping

oil off of the parts before painting. They couldn't get all the oil off and the paint wouldn't stick well

resulting in it coming off in sheets.

The hi/low shifter problems occurred in a very small number of tractors, perhaps 3 to 5 at most over the years.

I feel the worst time for the tractors were at the end when the 315-8's just didn't ""feel"" and operate

like a Wheel Horse that we all knew and liked. Owners also complained of mechanical/electrical issues

more then previous years tractors. Guess they knew the end was coming and the quality control unit

slacked off -- --

jay in nc

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED ON THE 300-400-500 SERIES TRACTORS THE HEADLIGHT MOUNTING BRACKET. ON THE BACK SIDE THE SHEETMETAL IS USUALLY CRACKED FROM STRESS ABOUT 3/4" WIDE ( LEFT SIDE ). IT THINK IT MAYBE CAUSED BY PUSHING ON THE HOOD TO GO BACKARDS, IT MAKES THE HOOD FLEX.

BOWTE IN OHIOI

hey that was one of the things wrong with my 310-8. P.O. had duct taped it! i took out the headlight migwelded the crack & put a patch on it to boot. the choke cables seem to be missing on mine & wheel-n-it's & lots of others. i had to buy a new one! Jay

AMC RULES

Discovered this crack in the lower hood stand on thanksgiving day...

any ideas what would posssibly cause this to happen? :dunno:

post-3498-0-68118800-1353716469_thumb.jp

• Like 1

TT

Heaving too hard on the lift lever and/or using the steering wheel as a grab handle when mounting/dismounting.

• Like 1

BOWTIE

JAY, I THINK ABOUT 15 OUT OF 20 OF THE 300-500 SERIES THE HEADLIGHT MOUNTS WERE SPLIT OR YOU COULD SEE A LINE WHERE THEY WERE GETTING READY TO SPLIT.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

jay in nc

bowtie do you think this is just a single cylinder problem? i have a 516, 518, & 2 520s and none of these are cracked ? Jay