Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

What Are The Wheelhorse Weaknesses???

leeave96

Every make of garden tractors have a few design problems that crop-up over time, be it Cub Cadet, Simplicity or Wheelhorse. What this thread is about is identifying those areas of potential trouble so we can all be aware of it ahead of time so we can try to prevent unnecessary damage or how to fix it when we find it. In no way is this thread about running down these fine Wheelhorse tractors.

As an example, years ago I read that some of the early 520H Wheelhorse tractors with the swept forward axle and 60 inch decks had the potential for cracked frames where the angle iron frame is welded to the steel plate that attaches to the tranny. I also think Toro beefed up the design to eliminate this potential in later models. Also we talk all the time about the valve seats coming loose in the Onan engines and speak of keeping the engine cooling fins clear of debri.

Recently I have read about the 300, 400 and 500 series having steering columns that are not as strong as earlier models and can cause problems.

Between the C series and the 300, 400, and 500 series tractors, what are some of the inherent problems that one can expect to encounter? Perhaps we can make a list of problems, i.e. like frames cracking, what is the cause, how to prevent and ultimately how to fix. Don't know if a tread such as this would merit being a "sticky", but it would be great info for all of us Wheelhorse owners trying to keep them going another generation - or two!

Any replies to the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Sounds like an awesome idea...

wonder if there is a way this could be incorporated with the tractor of the month idea? :confusion-shrug:

Edited by #1 WHEELHO

whc160

The trans plates were weak & would crack inline with the bolt holes. Toro made a plate to weld in, but I believe they have now discontinued them. There have been a few topics on here about it. One has a pic of the plate I took with measurements.

Also the hubs on the early tractors only had the one set screw & would come loose. Then the key way slot in the hub wears & if it is let go long enough the slot in the axle wears too. I drill & tap the second hole in the hub if it is still good.

BOWTIE

THIS IS GOOD TOPIC. I HAVE BOUGHT AND SOLD AROUND 25 TRACTORS IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS FROM A 1976-2202 1 B ,3 C AND 1 308, MANY 312A's/312-8,314-8,315-8, 416H's/416-8 AND 520H's. 1. THE PAINT JUST FLAKES OFF THE DECKS AND A LITTLE ON THE FENDER. 2. THE MOWER DECKS HAVE STRESS CRACKS AROUND THE REAR ADJUSTMENT LEVER AND MOUNTS. 3. THEY RUST OUT PRETTY FAST IF NOT KEPT CLEAN UNDERNEATH. 4. THE HOOD HINGE BUSHINGS WEAR OUT FAST BEING MADE OF NYLON. 5. THE MOWER DECK HAS THOSE NYLON WASHERS ON THE TENSION BAR THAT WEAR OUT. ( I THINK THAT MAY BE CAUSE THEY ARE ASSEMBLE WRONG. THE BAR SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLOAT. THE ONES I TAKE APART LOOK LIKE THEY WERE TIGHEN WITH A AIR RATCHET. I'M SURE THERE MORE PROBLEMS. EVEN WITH ALL THOSE PROBLEMS I STILL LIKE MY WHEEL HORSE TRACTORS. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

squonk

Broken steering supports and crappy paint on the mid 80's on up.

Jim_M

Weak transmission to frame mounting.

HorseFixer

10-dash 4 on the weak Steering Supports! Also on the 520 the exhaust is blocking the air from exiting the rear head. causing brittle fuse blocks and burn wires not to mention Valve problems. To solve this Others have made a louvered belt gaurd that helps with air flow. I solved the whole problem by making my own exhaust manifold and there is -0- heat problem there now. But in doing so, there is also -0- heat for the Cab.

~Duke

Tankman

Broken steering supports and crappy paint on the mid 80's on up.

I second that! Toro missed the point!

I'm going to add, owned many lawn & garden tractors, pre-Toro WH is #1 for sure.

AMC RULES

Humm...the AMC years '74-'82.

SousaKerry

There are no weaknesses in Wheel Horse tractors just weaknesses in the operators... :naughty::ROTF:

Actually I would have to say the annoying rattle in the transmission disengagement lever on early 80's hydros, The parking brake paw in the early sundstrands.

Gear drive decks, need I say more.

• Like 2

JackC

"Actually I would have to say the annoying rattle in the transmission disengagement lever on early 80's hydros," Yupp on that one.

Speaking of early 80's, the plastic fenders were a bad idea but did not affect operation.

Racinbob

I would go with the frame/transmission mounting. I've fabricated many plates to fix that, usually before a problem starts. Tank like frame, tank like transmission, weak mounting.

Duff

Actually, in the 8-speed trannies, the hi-lo shift fork is notoriously weak. As long as the operator is careful to stop the tractor, shift to neutral and gently work the hi-lo shifter into the desired range they hold up pretty well. I have read here, though, that the fork itself is fairly thin and wears easily. The common thinking is if the shifter starts to bind up consistently or becomes difficult to shift, it may be time to split the tranny and replace it before something breaks and drops metal into other places. The rest of the tranny is pretty darned strong.

Dittos on the weak steering column supports on the 300-400's.

Duff :thumbs:

Edited by Duff

KC9KAS

"Dittos on the weak steering column supports on the 300-400's."

My D-200 steering column moves back & forth when I turn the wheel.....I think this is part of the reason it takes a football field to turn it around.

roscoemi

Craig, your saying I own an AMC? I'm crushed. Guess it's time to sell it off and find something older. :ychain:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah, pretty much worthless now...so, I'll do you a favor and come take that junk off your hands. :)

• Like 1

roscoemi

Probably better off crushing it to kill any possible spread of infection. :ychain:

• Like 1

tunahead72

Great thread Bill! :handgestures-thumbup:

Ditto on the Tupperware fenders, and on the 300/400/500 steering supports.

But overall, I bought my first Wheel Horse close to 30 years ago, and other than the fact they're not making them anymore, I've got no reason to switch. :icecream:

kpinnc

The only "weakness" I can think of is they have too large a "footprint", and take up too much room in the barn- which severely limits the overall number I have... :)

I've never seen a cracked tranny mount that was not the result of misuse, but the entire center console of the 300/400/500 series machines could have been better. A flange bearing mounted in the top portion for the upper steering shaft and some kind of reinforcement at the fender/gas tank mount would have been great.

A dab of anti-sieze on the steering wheel and hitch pin, applied at the factory would have made many of us happier too...

But, for 30+ year old machines- I have no complaints.

IthacaJeff

Tranny mounting plate, steering support, flimsy hood on the latest model hoods. Stress cracking

decks.. . . but only after 20 years. . .

Poor turning radius.

Jeff

jay in nc

i only have one complaint eaton 700 hydro pumps in 516 & 518 tractors. when you bought these new they were over 4000.00 dollars & you arent suposed to use groung engaging implements. stupid! Jay

• Like 1

can whlvr

the thing that hasnt been mentioned is pretty much all these "problems"are very easy to fix,a plate added to the frame,some steel for the newer steering,some welding and a bit of fabricating skills can repair almost any of these problems,thats a really nice thing about these tractors,easy to work on in general

• Like 3

Butch

Actually, in the 8-speed trannies, the hi-lo shift fork is notoriously weak. As long as the operator is careful to stop the tractor, shift to neutral and gently work the hi-lo shifter into the desired range they hold up pretty well. I have read here, though, that the fork itself is fairly thin and wears easily. The common thinking is if the shifter starts to bind up consistently or becomes difficult to shift, it may be time to split the tranny and replace it before something breaks and drops metal into other places. The rest of the tranny is pretty darned strong.

Dittos on the weak steering column supports on the 300-400's.

Duff :thumbs:

Wow. My Hi-Lo shifter is hard to shift. I just thought you had to double and triple clutch it. I hope the heck this thing isn't going.

Butch

Humm...the AMC years '74-'82.

I think AMC built crappy Harleys during those years also. I guess AMC didn't make anything nice!

• Like 1

TT

That was AMF, Butch -- but yes, same principal. :hide:

• Like 1