Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

hauled in a 418 A (pic heavy)

rustyoldjunk

now granted it dont look brand new but the trade was a good one.i had an ad running offering to trade a 92 craftsman GT6000 for an older wheel horse or maybe other brands.i had hauled the craftsman in as a freebie that hadnt ran in a year or so.i cleaned the carb on the 18hp magnum horizontal crank kohler engine charged the 850 cca auto battery in it and it fired up and ran fine.but only in high ranger low range needs a pin replaced.i got an email from a guy i had dealt with before telling me that he had a 418 A and 518 that he had bought as a package deal off an older gentalman whom he thought had bought them both new.he only wanted the 58 to mow with and would like to trade the 418 for the craftsman but telling me to come look at the WH first before he hauled it in to me.so since it was only 20 minutes or so away i headed out.what i found was a pretty complete tractor that he said would start and run but only by shorting the silenoid and it is missing some of the engine tin.he said the p o had taken it to be worked on (a flywheel replaced he thinks)then got into it with the repair man so he hauled it home minus the parts.he did later get some engine tin but i think its from a KT17.so i need some engine tin and a rectifier that i know about right now.the tractor came with a 48 inch deck and hub caps.he did try to start it and it turned over fine and when i asked he said it hadnt been started since earlier last summer,so im hoping the engine is ok and will find out i hope in the next week or so when i get time.either way im happy with the trade.dont pay attention to the date on the pictures,i took them this afternoon.the date is wrong on the camera.i need to fix that :techie-eureka: ...

post-146-0-54979000-1353456112.jpg

post-146-0-27428500-1353456129.jpg

post-146-0-80037400-1353456142.jpg

post-146-0-06045000-1353456161.jpg

post-146-0-32020000-1353456176.jpg

post-146-0-51147400-1353456191.jpg

post-146-0-57222400-1353456204.jpg

KC9KAS

Looks like it can be cleaned up and fixed up easy. You don't have a lot invested in it!

AMC RULES

I like the narrow ags on it too. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tankman

Great Horse!

Looks like the "normal stuff" to fix, then go.

I purchased a 418 about a month ago sight unseen, a steal.

Delivered was a 416-8 '85, owner didn't have a clue. Decals were ripped.

48" deck mounted, and a spare 42" deck.

Quite satisfied with the 416, now, back to work fixin'.

Nice Horse you picked up!

Tankman

I like the narrow ags on it too. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Where's the hubcaps?

KATO

So i walked into the Beer store and a native buddy of mine is standing in line.

I walked over and says to him Hey Bobby little weiner, hows it goin. he looks at me and says

not bad pale face, not bad, what are you up to. I say just gettin a case for the wife.

He looks at me for a few seconds then says......GOOD TRADE.

• Like 2

rustyoldjunk

the back hubcaps were not on ithe tractor but i have them.he swapped the wider turfs off this one onto his 516 and didnt put them back on when he put the ags off the 516 on this tractor but i did get them.

1maidenfan

So i walked into the Beer store and a native buddy of mine is standing in line.

I walked over and says to him Hey Bobby little weiner, hows it goin. he looks at me and says

not bad pale face, not bad, what are you up to. I say just gettin a case for the wife.

He looks at me for a few seconds then says......GOOD TRADE.

THAT IS AWWWEEESSSOMMEEE... :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

clemedc

Hi Jim

You got an awesome deal and a SWEET tractor, I still have your pulley FOR THE 753, maybe see ya soon. I would like to see the 418.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

rustyoldjunk

Thanks Clay.i have been meaning to get over there and see you to get that pulley.Hopefully between now and this weekend and we can run over so i can show you the 418.

Sparky

I ran a 418-A for a couple years with a 42" single stage sno-blower. Its was un-stoppable....loads of power! And I realy prefer the location of the DCL on the 418 over the ones mounted on the steering coloum. Much easier to use in my opinion.

Mike..........

Wheel-N-It

Thats a nice 418. Congragulations, and have fun getting it back into shape for working. You might want to pop that flywheel off and check the magnets to make sure they are all there (and none are loose). Also you can give the stator a good cleaning. The flywheel comes off fairly easily as the crankshaft is tapered there.

rustyoldjunk

Wheel,thats what he thinks may have happened to the last flywheel.i had a minute to play with this thing today so,i checked the oil clean full and looks new,checked the hydro fliud full and looks new.pulled the air filter it looks new,the battery even is good and he he had told me it either wouldnt start with the key or wouldnt shut off.so i put a dribble of prime gas in the carb,it started right up when i turned the key.it did smoke for a few seconds but its been sitting for a good while.i drove it and let it run a few minutes.it seems to run and drive fine,but i did see one problem.the lift cylinder wouldnt move and i didnt have time to look at it much but what i did see looked fine so hopefully its just something small.maybe lift linkage jammed?

Wheel-N-It

Can you hear the hydro building pressure on the line and cylinder when you move the deck lift lever?

rustyoldjunk

turns out it was fine.i started it again,let it run a few minutes and it operated great.it does have new thick oil in it so im guessing i just didnt let it warm up enough the first time i tried.

Wheel-N-It

turns out it was fine.i started it again,let it run a few minutes and it operated great.it does have new thick oil in it so im guessing i just didnt let it warm up enough the first time i tried.

Duke advised me to run Mobile One 10w-30w in my 417-A hydro. That is whats in there now. It does take a slight bit of run time to build pressure for the hydro to work, so don't worry bout that. That is normal.

Next year I think I will drain out the Mobile and replace it with LE.

pfrederi

Having the lift cylinder not work for a minute or two after startup (especially in the cold) is very common with the Eatons.

GlenPettit

Outstanding trade.

I feel the 416-8 is a much better tractor than the 418-8 would have been.

You did everything right. Good save.