Sign in to follow this  
JackC

Spray paint comparison - Rustoleum best?

JackC

Guy demonstrates how to paint small panels and recommends Rustoleum

Another guy recommends Rustoleum

Ken B

Results may vary. If you are going to be using the paint around anything that might drip fuel onto it or someting you will be handling alot Duplicolor is the much better choice. It won't wrinkle anywhere as easily as Rustoleum will if fuel is spilled on it and it doesn't take two months too cure. Any Duplicolor paint that you use, even if its a gloss finish it will need to be clear coated for the shine to come out. I have painted many an outboard motor with Duplicolor paints and I would NEVER consider using Rustoleum on an outboard, it just won't last on an outboard motor.

I've been using Rustoleum for close to 35 yrs. now. Its real easy to use and if you have some experience and patience the results can look like a professional painted it, but at the end of the day it is still Rustoleum paint. I painted this award winning 1956 Evinrude with Duplicolor paints 6 yrs. ago. It has seen alot of use and she spends many hrs. out in the sun. She still looks freshly painted.

Granted, I haven't yet painted a tractor with Duplicolor paints, not even sure I would. I did paint a tractor with some leftover cans of Cherry Red Krylon paint I had left over from a project. The shine looked just OK at first, once I added some clear coat to the situation it popped much better.

Here are some pics, results may vary.

lowell004.jpg

lowell008.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

• Like 2

welderman85

i have used rustoleum on tons or things. 90% of the time i had really good luck with it. I have also had ok luck with ACE rust stop and krylon but i like rustoleum the best.

oh and the horse looks great but man that boat is awsome and it looks fun

Racinbob

I had great results with Regal red but it's a bit soft and scratches easy.

JackC

The demonstration says the clear coat step is important and he did not sand between the color coat and the clear coat.

The boat and motor look great, the horse too. The boat looks like it can fly with that engine.

Ken B

Thanks for the compliments guys. One thing I'd like to add about Duplicolor paints is this, on one of my very nice outboards I managed to put a real NASTY scratch in it. It was about 3/16's wide and 2 inches long. I was none too happy with myself. I decided to try to take the easy way out versus painting the whole thing all over again. I sprayed Duplicolor into a spray cap and continued to fill in the scratch with a fine paint brush until it was a little higher. I then wet sanded it smooth, sprayed a little clear on and then wet sanded it with 1500. Then I buffed it out. There was no trace of this Nasty scratch whatsoever. The best thing is it took me all of an hr. to do it.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Kend Looks good, Does the Duplicolor have hardner in it? How would you say it compares to Valspar Rest Series?

Ken B

As far as painting a tractor with Duplicolor I haven't tried that yet. If you can still get your hands on the Restoration Series paint I'd go that route. I have a gallon of Restoration Series Red just waiting for the right tractor to come along. I'm not sure how I'd compare it to Resto Series but for an outboard application it is the way to go. Lots of outboards back in the day had metallics in the paint and many Duplicolor paints have metallics in them.

Most of the outboards I have painted are thru a spray can as not too much paint is used. Duke I'm not sure if there is a hardener in Duplicolor but it does dry MUCH faster than Rustolem, and even Resto Series that has hardener in it. The clear coat Duplcolor sells is fuel resistant and heat resistant to 500 degrees. It is a ceramic coating. They also sell it by the quarts so I'm sure hardener can be added. Maybe the next tractor I paint I'll give Duplicolor a whirl.

smoreau

I am liking the Duplicolor idea for a replacment for the restoration series paint. Know what color would be correct?

Save Old Iron

knowing that ANY reasonable paint job looks great in pictures...

Here's another perspective on getting a good Rustoleum finish. Kinda confirms my past statements that you could apply enamel with a stick and wadded Kleenex as long as you are willing to spend time working the paint after it dries.

http://www.meguiarso...-paint-job-quot

I feel the first video in this post is actually promoting the expectation of orange peel and may never help folks fully understand and develop good application technique. What really surprises me is the "leveling of the clearcoat" showing the abrasive turning red (with basecoat). Seems like the protective clearcoat layer was sacrificed by wet sanding thru the clearcoat well into the basecoat. The little UV protection that $4 a can Rustoleum clearcoat affords has been abraded away by $30 of wet dry paper and Meguiars compounds.

Seems counterproductive.

Tankman

Use RustOleum Regal Red on all my WH projects but, always finish with RustOleum Crystal Clear. Seems to protect well and shine!

For the silver wheels, Duplicolor Silver wheel paint and wow! that paint dries in a wink and looks great.

I rationalize, don't need a great paint job 'cause I use the Horses. For working Stallions, RustOleum Regal Red looks great.

Boat looks great! From Long Island, North Shore, I know CT and NY love boats! Need 'em to survive! Long Island Sound is always crowded!