Sign in to follow this  
Tankman

414 - 416 Steering "Tower"

Tankman

Just started to work restoring a 416-8. The biggest problem is the steering "tower."

Boy is that a cheapo 16 ga CRS ass'y to support the steering vertical shaft!

I'm going to reinforce that, thanks to whomever the cheapo was who approved that design.

Ouch. I could've done better in my sleep.

Best steering support I've seen was on tube frame Bolens. Full height, cast iron. Wow!

can whlvr

they did get a little flimsy in the marroon stripe years,i think they needed ways to keep costs down,ive put angle iron in to fix the worn out sheetmetal,coulnt get the steering wheel off to put a bearing on the steering shaft like duke did on one of his maroon stripes,i think it was the 417 he did,look in the search area,dont know exact words for you to enter but look around and you could get some good ideas

Tankman

Neighbor to the north, good morning!

I too an reinforcing the tower with angle iron. I did get the 1/4" x 2" roll pin out but, still could not pull the wheel. I have an idea, will update after trying another type of puller.

Years ago, when I was in the shop, made many WH sheet metal parts using 316 SS. Wish I still was in the shop but only when I need a WH part!

can whlvr

i cut the angle to surround the shaft,had to drill a couple of holes in the plate that the battery sits on,,no big deal,if i coulda got the wheel off i would have used a bearing,but i used the 2 peices split around the shaft idea,it made the steering very tight and will never wear out