Sign in to follow this  
fourwheels0

c-160-8

fourwheels0

here's my latest pickup.

75 c-160-8.

owner said it didn't run.

cleaned the points and put in a new plug and it runs great.

and this one has the 13 fin block.

SAM_0060.jpg

SAM_0061.jpg

chevyaddict83

I don't see anything

Sent from my 1100 special.

Jake Kuhn

Nice find! I hope I run across one of those next year. ~Jake

• Like 1

fourwheels0

chevyaddict83 you should be able to see the pics.

jake they are getting harder to find. especially the 13 fin 16hp kohlers.

i also got a set of john deere 50lb each weights with it but those are going up for sale.

rmaynard

Another nice addition to the herd Mike. :thumbs:

chevyaddict83

I see the light now.... She looks nice!

i also got a set of john deere 50lb each weights with it but those are going up for sale.

c161rat

Ok......so whats this about a 13 fin 16hp Kohler......I have a 16 hp Kohler but dont know what fins to count to find out if its a 13 fin.....and whats the difference between the other fin 16 hp Kohlers?????

c161rat

Ok......so whats this about a 13 fin 16hp Kohler......I have a 16 hp Kohler but dont know what fins to count to find out if its a 13 fin.....and whats the difference between the other fin 16 hp Kohlers?????

Never mind...found my answer......you count the fins on the crank side of the block.....and I don't have the much sought after 13 fin block on my C-161....Just 12 measly fins.....I am going to assume that because there are more fins this particular 16hp engine has a longer stroke????? Because the cylinder is taller???? Or is it the same bore and stroke just better cooling???

Don1977

Never mind...found my answer......you count the fins on the crank side of the block.....and I don't have the much sought after 13 fin block on my C-161....Just 12 measly fins.....I am going to assume that because there are more fins this particular 16hp engine has a longer stroke????? Because the cylinder is taller???? Or is it the same bore and stroke just better cooling???

Did you count the top fin right under the head. I was under the impression that all 16 HP kohlers had 13 fins. It's just a stronger block ever thing else is the same. You can find 13 fin blocks on some smaller HP engines, others have 11 fin or 12 fin blocks.

c161rat

Did you count the top fin right under the head. I was under the impression that all 16 HP kohlers had 13 fins. It's just a stronger block ever thing else is the same. You can find 13 fin blocks on some smaller HP engines, others have 11 fin or 12 fin blocks.

IMG_0367.jpg

I only count 12

Don1977

Here is a 13 fin 12 HP engine that came on my Wheel Horse.

SAM_0063.jpg

Wheel-N-It

Yes, thats a real nice addition to any herd! Congragulations on that one :happy-partydance:

c161rat

Here is a 13 fin 12 HP engine that came on my Wheel Horse.

SAM_0063.jpg

Yup definitely 13 fins........notice how that casting plug in the bottom 3 fins is solid on yours and mine has a hole in it......wonder if thats standard on all 13 fin engines

c161rat

Yes, thats a real nice addition to any herd! Congragulations on that one :happy-partydance:

Sorry fourwheels0 didn't mean to hijack your thread with all this 13 fin talk....Very Nice Tractor!!!!!!!

AMC RULES

So, is that to say...those thirteen finned blocks are a rare find? :scratchead:

c161rat

I think I'm going to start a new thread and see what we can come up with on this fin thing cause I just counted the fins on my C-145 and I have a 13 fin 14hp motor on it. just wondering what the differences are

JackC

Very nice. The seat is not the correct seat for the year but it is a newer model that is more comfortable and it looks to be in very good condition. My 1975 C-160 Auto has 13 fins. Did they make a 16 horse with fewer?

can whlvr

very nice tractor,as i have said before one of wheelhorses finest moments,my 75 auto has 13 fins

whc160

Great find you got there. :handgestures-thumbupright:

You can't go wrong with a C-160. All four of mine & my Dad's C-160 have the 13 fin blocks. So how rare are the 13 fin blocks?

fourwheels0

the 13 fin blocks are getting rare.

pullers use them because the cylinder walls are thicker and can hold higher compression.

great if your gonna highly modified the engine.

fourwheels0

from what i understand all the 74-75 c-160's had 13 fin blocks.

then the 76-77's had the 12 fin blocks.

maybe kohler was cutting back on costs to build the blocks. i don't know.

Kelly

Not sure on the years you posted, but I know I have newer blocks from the late 70's and 80's that are 13 fin.

CRE1992

This makes me want to count the number of fins on my C161, damn you guys!

And nice rescue on the C160!

Edited by CRE1992

fourwheels0

Not sure on the years you posted, but I know I have newer blocks from the late 70's and 80's that are 13 fin.

i'm not sure on other engines but i was talking about the 16hp kohlers from 74-77.

sorry i didn't mean to confuse anyone.

whc160

My 76 & 77 C-160's have 13 fins.