Sign in to follow this  
Lux Man

mower spindle- internal retaining clip- removal?

Lux Man

I have read many threads here on this similar subject but haven't found an answer to my question. This is a spindle from a 1976 42" deck. We want to replace the bearings but, it has a retaining clip inside the spindle on the shaft. I do not see how it would be obtainable for removal unless a bearing could be knocked out. The only bearing that might be able to be knocked out with the clip still on the shaft might be the needle bearing one. I am hesitant to attempt this due to the fact that you can't really see what you are hitting inside the spindle with the shaft still in the housing and the retaining clip takes up the rest of the room. I'd post a picture but my camera is hiding from me right now.

I hope my question makes sense and someone can shed some light on it for me.

Thank you-

can whlvr

the ones ive done have the ears with little holes so a spring clip plier can open them,check both ends for this type of clip,if not a small screw driver might be placed between the clip and the mandrel and pry it out,you might have to get new clips if you deform the old ones

Don1977

He's asking about double D's . There is snap ring under the top ball bearing. There isn't a way to remove it until you remove the top bearing. Once you get the bearing out you won't need to. You will need to use a bearing puller. They are not cheap, it would be best to take to a mechanic and have him remove the top bearing.

Lux Man

I may have come across a solution that will work for others too, it worked for me on two spindles. First you must remove the outside retaining clip holding the ball bearing in the spindle. I then soaked the large bearing in Kroil over night. I just sprayed the bearing edges and let it stand vertically over night. I then lifted it up so that the shaft slipped back inside the spindle housing until it hit the retaining ring. I then took a 4mm allen wrench and put it inside the housing and turned it sideways. I then pushed the shaft back up through the hole. Obviously it can't go thru the bearing because the allen wrench is there. I then began to tap the shaft against the allen wrench, rotating it as I tapped it out. When I say tap, it may have been more of a light pounding. The main thing is that it worked on two spindles without any tools other than what anyone would have. It did not damage the shaft whatsoever.

Just as a caveat I have begun to really favor Kroil over other products for loosening rusted stuff. We've tried pretty much all the other common ones and Kroil does seem to beat them for results. I have no affiliation with Kroil, just an observation of ours.