Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Lookie What Followed Me Home Today

Wheel-N-It

My Son-In -Law has been bitten by the Wheel Horse Bug. He presently owns one of those ugly green Lawn and Garden Tractors, but now thankfully he has seen the light and is going Red.

Me being the great and wonderful Father-In-Law that I am has been on the hunt for him a nice entry level Wheel Horse LAGT. Today I went to look at a particular 312-8, and it followed me home.

This is it complete with new seat, wheel weights, tiller bracket, rear discharge mowing deck, pull behind disc, and a Craftsman combination aerator/fertilizer/grass seed spreader. It needs the usual stuff, you know like an air filter, oil change, transmission oil change, belts, spark plug. All the normal things you would do to a Wheel Horse this old.

It even got the JayInNC seal of approval when I took it by his house on my way home.

Here it is. What do you guys think about today's purchase?

Oh yeah, pay no attention to my ugly green and yellow trailer or my Mom's ugly green mailbox.

By the way, this is my Son-In-Law's Christmas present from me, Mr. Great and Wonderful :text-merryxmas:

post-5982-0-39307800-1352592482_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-60793500-1352592518_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-67741700-1352592611_thumb.jp

• Like 1

welderman85

very nice tractor. i wish my farther in law bought me wheel horses.

• Like 1

jay in nc

oh by the way he sniped it right out of my neighborhood, well about 15 miles away, but . i reciently got a 310-8 so im happy! nice tractor Van jay

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice haul, maybe the SIL will return the favor and get you a can of red paint for your horse trailer this X-mas. :ychain:

• Like 2

JimD

Got any more single daughters? :ychain:

• Like 2

squonk

Nice tractor but that is a knarly trailer! icon_mfhide.gif

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Sorry Jim, but I only had one and she is very happily married. I remember the good things my Father-in-Law did for me way back when I was younger. He was a good man, and I always appreciated the things he did for me. So I make it a point to do the same for my Son-in-Law. Besides, if I can get him addicted to Wheel Horses (like the rest of us here), then I'll have some help and good company working on them later on as my collection grows :banana-wrench: :wh:

• Like 2

leeave96

Van,

That's a very nice looking tractor. Looks like it has the newer Kohler Magnum engine on it too. I think that style sheet metal with the Wheelhorse decals and brighter red paint looks better than the later Toro Wheelhorse decals and darker Toro red paint. I have a rear discharge deck and like it, but it can make a mess of the rear end and wheels. However, you can trim on both sides and don't have to worry about tossing a rock against the house or car - and you can pull a sweeper while mowing.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sorry Jim, but I only had one and she is very happily married. I remember the good things my Father-in-Law did for me way back when I was younger. He was a good man, and I always appreciated the things he did for me. So I make it a point to do the same for my Son-in-Law. Besides, if I can get him addicted to Wheel Horses (like the rest of us here), then I'll have some help and good company working on them later on as my collection grows :banana-wrench::wh:

That's some good :wh: thinkin' right there. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

JimD

Sorry Jim, but I only had one and she is very happily married. I remember the good things my Father-in-Law did for me way back when I was younger. He was a good man, and I always appreciated the things he did for me. So I make it a point to do the same for my Son-in-Law. Besides, if I can get him addicted to Wheel Horses (like the rest of us here), then I'll have some help and good company working on them later on as my collection grows :banana-wrench::wh:

Sorry Wheel-N-It, I am forever the comedian. A fine thing you did there. I have three sons-in-law. so I know how you think. If they make my girls happy, then they're all right in my book. Hmm, I DO have four horses.. :confusion-confused: Lucky for me, two of them rent and the other has a postage stamp yard, but they are ready when the kids are. :thumbs:

• Like 1

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice. And wheel weights too! More than enough to get him hooked!

• Like 1

Rooster

Lucky for me, two of them rent and the other has a postage stamp yard, but they are ready when the kids are. :thumbs:

Hey a postage stamp yard is no reason Not to have a horse or 12 !

It literally takes me more time moving stuff than it does to mow!

Less yard = bigger Garage & less time mowing = more time playing!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: :text-goodpost: :text-+1:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK, Evening update;

Even thought my computor has been connected to RS all day, I have been in the shop working on yesterdays purchase. I let all the engine oil and transmission oil drain out all last night and this morning. Replaced both this afternoon after a quick trip to Advance Auto. Found a new air cleaner I had squirreled back for such an occasion, and put that on. Removed the mower deck and weights. Polished on the hood. Found some 1 inch wider rear tires and shiney rims, put them on. Found some good used black plastic headlight trim pieces, put them on. Greased everything that had a grease fitting. Armor All'd the seat and steering wheel. Tuned the the carb, and let it run for about an hour. I cleaned the spark plug but did not replace it. The engine starts easy hot or cold. idles good, and takes the throttle well. It does have a slight high speed miss. The same kind we've all heard a thousand times in every motor be it a Briggs, Techy, or Kohler. Hopefully a new spark plug will fix that. It did for my other 312 this year, as it developed the same high speed miss. Thats how far I got today with it. Then after that i had some chainsaw maintenance work to do. I am taking off tomorrow and cutting up three big oaks that are laying down back in the woods behind my house. Some day off right?

Anyway, give me some input on what else you guys think that hight speed miss could be. Please. :text-feedback:

HorseFixer

Van thats a Nice Score! Glad yer bringing that Lad into the Brotherhood of the Red Ones! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

JimmyJam

Nice score! Looks like an awesome machine! Merry Xmas! ...lucky you! (son-in-law)

AMC RULES

I'm interested to see if a plug replacement cures that miss. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

SAM58

Really Nice... :)

Tankman

Dear Santa:

I've been a good cowboy all year. Exercised the Horses daily, fed, oiled, and washed them more than they needed.

They're all in good shape.

For Christmas could you send me a small D-Series Stallion for the herd?

I'll be really, really well behaved from now on and forever.

Thank you Santa, in advance.

I'm leavin' cookies on the mantle for you during your visit.

Oh, and with the "D" a few implements; generator and a log splitter would be nice.

Bye now.

Tankman

Dear Santa:

I've been a good cowboy all year. Exercised the Horses daily, fed, oiled, and washed them more than they needed.

They're all in good shape.

For Christmas could you send me a small D-Series Stallion for the herd?

I'll be really, really well behaved from now on and forever.

Thank you Santa, in advance.

I'm leavin' cookies on the mantle for you during your visit.

Oh, and with the "D" a few implements; generator and a log splitter would be nice.

Bye now.

That's me on the 416-8 my Pop-Pop found wandering, lookin' for a good home.

Thanks again, I'll love the "D" to death! Merry Christmas!

Ken B

My Father-in-law- is top shelf, but.... man, he ain't ever bought me a Wheel Horse yet! That is a very nice one, it looks like there might be more Wheel Horse's in North Caroliney than ya'll are admittin to! Sniped right out of Jay's hood to! Sweet. :ychain:

Wheelhorse84

I really dislike that miss. It has become my arch enemy in my c-160

Wheel-N-It

Yeah that miss can be as annoying as a rusty hinge on a screen door, but I think it is electrical and not mechanical. Not going to stress it yet.

Tankman, that was a cute letter, but somehow Santa thinks it was forged, and written from a naughty bigger boy. You can't fool Santa Claus. :occasion-santa:

Ken B, we got some Wheel Horses here in North Carolina but right now the pickings are kinda slim. Still better than what our friend Matt has down in Texas. I gotta buy up all the good ones I can in the nerxt seven years so I can take them with me when I make the move to the Lone Star State/Republic :flags-texas:

6wheeler

Wheel-n-it. No more daughters huh? Well then, What you need is a son. And, as luck would have it? I am currently available for adoption :teasing-tease: .You can tell by my picture that I am cute and somewhat normal. And, you won't have to deal with the "TEEN" rebelling years :laughing-rolling: . Very nice tractor...

• Like 1

Marv

Did you put a seat belt on it so he will not slide off. Armorall is real slick. I put some on my leather car seat and found it tricky to stay put. Made the steering wheel slick too. Very good looking tractor. If he decides he doesn't want it I will take it.

Marv

• Like 1