Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

How good is a K161?

rmaynard

Well, let me tell you. I disassembled my K161 from my 701, and took the block, piston, crankshaft, and valves to the machine shop to have everything spec'd. This engine has never been serviced internally. All parts are original.

The verdict: The shop owner recommended a simple ball-hone to the cylinder, new rings, and polishing the crankshaft journal.

In other words, after 50 years of use, a simple shave and a haircut, and it's good to go.

Another interesting thing that he said. After rebuilding literally 100's of K-Series engines, he is absolutely convinced that these engines should be lubricated with straight 30W oil only. In dynomometer tests, he found a discernible reduction in power using multi-viscosity oils. He is not sure what to attributes that to, but straight 30W had no such loss. He also feels that 30W lubricates better and offers more overall protection against premature wear. I did not ask about synthetics.

Interesting food for thought and discussion.

• Like 2

sorekiwi

Maybe thats why Kohler specs straight 30 wt for the engine. :)

smoreau

Thats all I needed on my 875. Just DON'T USE CHROME MOLLY RINGS!!!! use the original cast rings. I learned my lesson on this one :banghead: :banghead:

buckrancher

30wt is the only oil I run in all my tractor's

Trouty56

Gotta appreciate the honesty of the shop......good info on the oil....thanks....

dclarke

Looks like you've got a good one Bob, That'll save you some $$$ :thumbs:

specialwheelhorse

Well, let me tell you. I disassembled my K161 from my 701, and took the block, piston, crankshaft, and valves to the machine shop to have everything spec'd. This engine has never been serviced internally. All parts are original.

The verdict: The shop owner recommended a simple ball-hone to the cylinder, new rings, and polishing the crankshaft journal.

In other words, after 50 years of use, a simple shave and a haircut, and it's good to go.

Another interesting thing that he said. After rebuilding literally 100's of K-Series engines, he is absolutely convinced that these engines should be lubricated with straight 30W oil only. In dynomometer tests, he found a discernible reduction in power using multi-viscosity oils. He is not sure what to attributes that to, but straight 30W had no such loss. He also feels that 30W lubricates better and offers more overall protection against premature wear. I did not ask about synthetics.

Interesting food for thought and discussion.

Keep that man in business, It's been my experiance that there are very few Ks

that need much more than you have here. A ball hone to break the glaze and crosshatch

a good set of rings a valve grind and some tweaking on the crank,perhaps a con-rod and

she;s ready to go. Oh yes true the head. It's amazing the hours on some of these and still

in spec.