Sign in to follow this  
dsoly

kt 17 carb

dsoly

Hi All,

Late this season I started having an issue with my 417-8 having to set the choke about a 1/4 open to run correctly. So I printed the kohler online manual, got a genuine rebuild kit, all gaskets new float pin, needle and seat.

I soaked the carb,sprayed out all passages with carb cleaner and reassembled. I measured the float drop,which was at 1 inch,and set carb to kohler preliminary settings.I bolted carb up,and got it started and it will idle and run to half throttle,anything above half throttle it dies. No matter what i do. Im stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

smoreau

Sounds like your fuel pump may be weak. or your needles are not set right. the long needle has small holes in it and if they are plugged, it will not run right at all. Did you pull the nipple off the carb that the fuel comes in? I have found that small pieces of rubber get caught in between the nipple and the small hole that feeds the bowl. the only way to see if this is the issue is to pull the nipple off.

dsoly

ill check the nipple,and it may be the fuel pump,which honestly i didnt even think about. Thank you!!