Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Need Help With JD140 Brinley Hitch Linkage

Wheel-N-It

Hey Guys. After work today I went to a friends house and bought a Brinley hitch setup for one of the Wheel Horses, and another Brinley hitch setup for my 1969 John Deere 140H3. OK here is my problem and question;

The JD hitch clips on nicely to the frame, so all good there. But, there is two linkage arms that connect to something that raises and lowers the part of the hitch that connects to the implement. Obviously I need another thingy. Can someone here please telll me what that is, and where it connects to the tractor? A pic sure would help if thats not too much to ask. Also if I have to buy a part, do any of you have one to sell me? Here are some pics of what I have. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Van

post-5982-0-79076600-1352424066_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-68695200-1352424091_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-44531800-1352424116_thumb.jp

T-Mo

The integral hitch (John Deere's term for sleeve hitch) was made to fit both the closed frame hydro tractors, like your 140, and also the square fender 110/112 and the 200 series gear drives. The lift link that's on your hitch is for the gear drives. The lift link or arm for the hydros was longer. It hooks to the second tab on the hitch and runs to the tractors rockshaft through the notch in the frame shown in your picture. You can easily make one - here is some plans that shows the arm you need:

http://www.wfmfiles....of_20081016.pdff

You can find a lot more info by going to Weekend Freedom Machines http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com

T-Mo

Oh, here is a pic of what it would like on the back of your 140:

post-30-0-98213900-1352462726.jpg

Wheel-N-It

Thank you T-Mo

I think I can take it from here. However if anyone at RS has one to sell, please PM me. I would rather buy from a RS member.

Also thank you to everyone who read my post but was unable to offer any help. The JD hitch does not at all connect up to a lifting device like the one on my Wheel Horse. The one on my Wheel Horse is a cable/chain connection. Evidently simple in both cases but different.

Van

T-Mo

Understood. Kelly from Michigan might be a good place to start. Keep in mind that this part has been NLA for almost 30 years. And those who would have the hitch will need this rod if they have a closed frame JD. I still think making one or registering at WFM and posting a wanted ad would be a good way of finding one. That and ebay of course.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thank you again T-Mo. I may have to call Kellly. Also there is a guy who custom makes them and sells them on ebay. It's about $90 plus shipping. Overall thats not too bad as I only paid $40 for what you see in the pics. I can justify spending the additional $90 if thats all it takes to be able to connect up to some implements.