Ken B

Something I've been working on.. Non tractor

Ken B

So, I work for one of the largest leather companies in the Country. Very high end, and very expensive. This is one of the original horses that leather calf hides were kept on from waaayyyy back in the day. They are well built and have been around since the early 50's. The wood ones are slowly being replaced. The original owner of the company would die if he knew these were getting junked, (he sold the company a few yrs. ago for a cool 80 million.) I have been re-purposing some of the wood horse's when I have time and this is what I came up for this one. The tops of the horse's had a 8 inch round piece of oak (cut in half) that I removed and I'm looking for something cool to do with them, something will come to me. My wife thinks I should take the wheels off but I think they are too cool to take off.

024-1.jpg

023.jpg

022-1.jpg

• Like 6

stevebo

Looks like it would make a very nice tractor stand.... Way to "save" that history.

• Like 1

squonk

Put a hitch on it and some "picnic table" seats and tow us around at the show in June ! :)

• Like 3

bowtiebutler956

The table would look good with an old Hit N Miss engine popping away on it. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 2

groundhog47

So, I work for one of the largest leather companies in the Country. Very high end, and very expensive. This is one of the original horses that leather calf hides were kept on from waaayyyy back in the day. They are well built and have been around since the early 50's. The wood ones are slowly being replaced. The original owner of the company would die if he knew these were getting junked, (he sold the company a few yrs. ago for a cool 80 million.) I have been re-purposing some of the wood horse's when I have time and this is what I came up for this one. The tops of the horse's had a 8 inch round piece of oak (cut in half) that I removed and I'm looking for something cool to do with them, something will come to me. My wife thinks I should take the wheels off but I think they are too cool to take off.

024-1.jpg

023.jpg

022-1.jpg

Yeah buddy, :thumbs2: on them wheels, :auto-biker: prob last forever (Recycler myself)

dclarke

Great idea Ken, it's always good to repurpose old stuff. Those wheels are cool. :thumbs:

Ken B

So, the VP of the company I work for see's this little table I made and she falls in love with it. It winds up in the Presidents conference room and the President asks me to make another one. I mentioned I'd like to do something different. No problem. Apparently things like this are popular with designer's. Who knew?

I did use some I.H. resto red on the rims of the second one. The company I work for is owned by the Knoll Furniture company, they have been around for a very long time. Maybe I'm onto something? Since these pics I lowered the gray table 2 inches. It was too high if it was going to be used as a coffee type table.

Myself, I like my second table better, sooner or later it is going to come home to my house. I've begun making plans for a third one, I want to add glass to this one.

004-12.jpg

• Like 6

perry

nice work on the table :)

tunahead72

NICE!!!

That first one looks like it would make a great portable work bench, especially if you could find a way to make one pair of the wheels swivel, and rig a lock on them to make it stay put.

What did you use to finish the second table? Looks real good!

There's so many things cool about reusing old wood. :handgestures-thumbup:

KC9KAS

Very nice work on the tables.

My wife & I are always looking at things to make out of used items....You know "re-purposeing"

neil

Wow , what awesome things to have

That coffee table will still be around in another hundred years , way better than any modern day rubbish.

What did you use to get the colour / patina of the coffee table .

Love it Ken

Wheel-N-It

I absolutely love it Ken! You ARE on to something great!

stevasaurus

That is NICE Ken!!! I used to have some furniture in the downstairs family room that that table would match perfectly. That looks like yellow pine? It is definitely the center piece in that room picture. Way too cool. :)

Ken B

NICE!!!

That first one looks like it would make a great portable work bench, especially if you could find a way to make one pair of the wheels swivel, and rig a lock on them to make it stay put.

What did you use to finish the second table? Looks real good!

There's so many things cool about reusing old wood. :handgestures-thumbup:

I made a small 8x8 shed off the side of my garage almost completely out of recycled wood. The shed sits on 8x8 railroad ties my neighbor gave me. The frame is made with 2x4's I scrounged from old pallets. The walls inside are boards off of pallets that I hand selected for just the right patina I was looking for, which took forever to do. The only things I bought are the Pella window I scored at the pawn shop for 20 bucks and I bought the siding. Stevebo hooked me up with a high performance roof that will NEVER leak. It is small, I use it mainly too tinker in and do small jobs in, maybe puff on a cigar or two. It heats up in a jiffy when its cold and I even added cable T.V.

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

fireman

Ken you never cease to amaze me with the speed you do things. You do in a few weeks what most guys take a year to do! Where and how do you find the time? Nice little workshop!

Ken B

When I built my little work shop I really had no plans of doing it. I came home from work one day and decided to do it. I started on it the minute I got out of my truck. I worked on it at nights. The main structure took only a few nights. Doing the inside is what took some time. I really wanted the shed to look like its been there as long as the rest of my house and I wanted it kinda rustic inside.

VinsRJ

Ken, that that room really looks good!

AND WHERE DID YOU GET THAT WICKED COOL TRACTOR!?!

Edited by VinsRJ

Ken B

So, the Vice President at work asked me to build her a cool cabinet, (she has the same taste in deco as I do). She wanted it on something with old style wheels like the first  bench I made on top of this thread. i took that bench and built onto it. I only use hand selected pallets. So....Here is what she is gettin. She loves it! Now everyone wants to to make something similar for them. Not!

010_zps297b315d.jpg

009_zps11524d46.jpg

012_zpsf8f5470d.jpg

• Like 4

dclarke

That is way cool! :eusa-clap: Great job Ken!

fireman

Nice job Ken! Can't hurt smooshing the boss.

Ken B

I have finished a few more of these wood projects since I last posted that I will have to get pictures of. I worked on this one on and off for a few days this week. The wood for these two little projects came from scrap piece's from Stevebo's barn build. 

DSCN2359_zps6c805328.jpg

DSCN2351_zps13a200d0.jpg

• Like 5

Geno

Nice job Ken.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

AMC RULES

You missed your calling Ken.   :thumbs: 

Ken B

These two are made completely out of recycled pallets. We keep the dogs treats and dog related stuff in one and in the other we keep the cats food and her treats. I think you can figure out who's is who's!

DSCN2369_zps31fcabe6.jpg

DSCN2375_zpsaa8aba0f.jpg

DSCN2376_zpscd8210b3.jpg

Ken B

There is also this one..This one started life as a horse like the one above that was used to stack leather hides on..

603241_724146347599646_176819619_n_zps10

• Like 2