Sign in to follow this  
Tights24

B-80 transmission problem?

Tights24

Howdy folks, new member here with a question. As you can see in the subject line, I have a B-80. Yesterday I started it up and backed it out of it's parking spot and shut it down. It's supposed to snow today, so I went outside to push it back under the deck. Moved the shifter into neutral and it wouldn't budge. This is with the tractor off. I just wanted to push it. Next I pushed in the clutch and I could feel it going in and out of gear. Put it back in neutral and nothing. It would only rock back and forth like it was still in gear. Puzzled, I check that the brake wasn't locked on and it isn't. I then grabbed the keys, started it up, put it in gear, and pretty much the same result. Slowly leaving out the clutch it would start to bog like it wanted to move but would not go anywhere. I even tried putting it in reverse since that was the last gear that I actually used successfully and nothing.

The next tidbit of info may help as well. While running, it didn't matter where I had the gear selector. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, reverse, or neutral, I couldn't let out the clutch without it still wanting to "grab". Somehow it's locked in a gear, regardless of what the shifter know shows. Does this make sense? I will answer any questions to help aid someone in helping me to troubleshoot. I am relocating next week to Florida for business and I was trying to get rid of this thing up here because I will have no need for it. Looks like Murphy's Law is working for me right now......

Thanks for any and all help.

Tights24

Just so there's no confusion that I caused, it doesn't matter where the gear selector is, the tractor won't move when I try to let the clutch out. It bogs a bit and starts to squeal, but it will not move. It's like it's in gear but doesn't care.....

Kelly

It sat out in the cold? freezing temps? the trans could have water in it, not uncommon, and it froze, there is a drain plug at the back on the bottom near the end of the hitch, remove the plug and see what comes out, if it's fluid you have a trans stuck between gears and the shifter will have to come out to realign the forks, but if nothing or water comes out you may have a froze trans, if so you will have to heat it up to melt the ice and fill it back up with gear oil.

• Like 1

Tights24

Thank you Kelly. Actually you may me onto something. it sat out like that last night here overnight and it was certainly below freezing. It would be awesome if that's all it is. I will locate the drain plug now and see what I can find. Are there any other drains/plugs in the same location? I just don't want to screw out the wrong one.

Also, assuming it is frozen and nothing comes out, are there any procedures for draining/adding gear oil?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Kelly

No other plugs it is a allen plug be sure to clean it out good before sticking a alen wrench in it, if it is froze I've put a tarp over the tractor and pointed a heater at the trans to thaw them, when empty there is a fill port on the left rear of the trans, it will take 2qts if it is a 8 speed, and about 1 to 1.5qts if it is a 4 speed.

Tights24

Awesome, thanks again. it's supposed to be 60 degrees next week again so I'll just keep it covered up and wait a bit. I do appreciate the help with no posts and such. I belong to a bunch of forums and moderate at a few and it's nice when new members get help like this.