Sign in to follow this  
Stepney

A bit of a different question.

Stepney

Hello all, I wanted to ask your opinion on something. Of coure in Alfred, all I use are the Wheel Horses, but at home, we dont have much of a yard to work, but we are on a private road. I used to have a model 702 WH, but when going down the road, well, the little three speed just didnt really have the speed to get anywhere within the next few decades, if you know what I mean. I had a Power King too, but that was just a nightmare alltogather! I wanted to ask you, what do you think would make a simple to work on, antique, 60's, so to say. But I am looking for something that can keep up around 7-10 miles an hour, teh 702 couldnt touch 4, it seemed!

I have an Electro 12 I am starting to restore this winer, but I donk know if it would be such a great idea to put so much use on teh old hydro, but it cirtenly moves along! I thought of something to teh effect of a Cub 125 hydro, as they can get up around 8 mph, but still, I dont think the Hydro is a good idea. I thought of a classic 8 Speed, WH. But they are nearly impossible to find around here! I th0ought about Simplicity, but I hear the bevel gear boxes can be trouble. I like the simplicity of the Cubs, but teh older ones, like my 102, I found to be somewhat ugly in appearence. What I was thinking about were the following.

Cub cadet, Wheel Horse, perhaps Simplicity, or just about anything of that nature.

Thanks, hope I didnt blabber too much. Spenser.

Wheel-N-It

Spencer, what type of work do you want to do with the tractor?

Stepney

Maybe pulling a yard trailor now and then, mostly just joyrideing. No mudding, of course, it disgusts me when they do that!

dennist

Well Spenser, From what I gathered reading your post you are looking for a C-101. You live in Maine and what do you know, so do I. And guess what, I have a very nice spare C-101 that we could talk about. PM me if you would like. Good luck on your search.

wallfish

You can change the pulley sizes for a manual transmission to speed it up a little

Wheel-N-It

The Cub Cadet 1650 is probably my fastest LAGT. It is a hydro with the K341. If you are just going joy riding and pulling a trailer, maybe you should think about buying an old Ford 8N tractor. Then you can go the speed you probably want to go, and be a little more comfortable. Here in NC you can get a decent 8N for about $1800 dollars.

perry

i had a 10hp wheel horse raider that hauled A$@ . the previous owner had changed the trans pulley. I prefer my 1960's simplicity Allis chalmer tractors. they have decent speed and and do anything you put them up to. they get great traction with the posi differentials on the axles. i have one that has been converted to full posi. man that bugger pulls the trees out of the woods , but dont steering too well. i have a counter weight hanging out front.

Save Old Iron

I like the simplicity of the Cubs, but teh older ones, like my 102, I found to be somewhat ugly in appearence.

No wonder I'm seeing more and more of these crop up - w/ statements like that !! :ychain:

cubcadet104006_tn_zps715af31b.jpg

Not to worry, A quick trip to the fine tractor clothiers at TSC, a new pacemaker from Bosch and a quick HyTran enima turned that frown upside down !!

• Like 1

perry

the wide frame cubs have a decent cruising gear .

duke

I have a 1974 Sears St-16. This is manual and the 3rd gear on high setting is faster than any Wheel horse will ever be, regardless of the drive pulley size! I recently restored a C-160 (hydro) from the ground up, replaced almost every nut and bolt! Once completed it can not keep up with the Sears, period. Now don't get me wrong the Wheel Horse is beautiful and it has a sleeve hitch for brinley type implements, if you can find them at affordable prices? The Sears has a Roper Electric three point which I can still find and buy plenty of implements for, however the solid state module is salty if you need to replace it. So there is pro.s and con's with both. All the Speedex, Economy and simular tractors are very poorly designed and need way too much TLC.

Kubota made a T-1400h (hydro) which is really fast! Now they are getting old and harder to find. Original Kubota 13hp gas engine too, with a serviceable hydro transmission which also (like wheel horse) uses 10w-30 oil. The list goes on and on. Hands down the Sears St-16 would be the most cost effective, despite the stupid fiberglass type of upper hood assembly! Ha,ha,ha!

Stepney

Well, after reading some other posts... I have a B-80 sitting in the shed. It is the 3 speed, not an 8. Would it be safe to try changing pulleys on a 3? I was reading about putting a 4 1/2 inch on a mid 80's 316, I think. Thanks for the suggestions!

Spenser.

duke

Say,

if you have the pulley and a longer belt that is one way of getting different speed. I know on a bike the bigger sprocket in the front and smaller in the back gives the faster speed. The posts that I have read all say put a bigger pulley? Interesting to find out though? I had a 1277 with a 16hp and I know the pulley was smaller and it went faster than my C-160! That could be for many reasons though!