Sign in to follow this  
Rosco234

Tow Hitch options needed

Rosco234

Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum and have a question in regards to hitch options. I just inherited a 1997 Toro wheelhorse 314H garden tractor with a bit over 400 hours on it. It has a 44 inch toro snowthrower, 42 cutting deck(never used) and a sno-cab. I'm doing as much research as I can on this great forum but I can't find what i need exactly. The tractor seems to be missing the draw hitch assembly. Is there any reason why my father inlaw would have removed it? does it interfere with the cutting deck or snowthrower? I'd like to have some sort of hitch option so that I can pull a utility cart and possibly a small boat and seadoo trailer around my property in the future, Can anyone point me in the right direction on what the easiest hitch solution would be, it doesn't matter to me if its and aftermarket or factory solution.

Thanks,

Greg

Lars

welcome to RS..

do u want a hitch to lift whit or just to haul stuff around?=

Rosco234

I think I just need something to haul stuff around for now. I see a few of the draw hitch assemblies for sale on ebay. I assume I can use one from a 520 Hydro since that has the same diff as mine? I think they both have the eaton 11?

SousaKerry

:WRS:

Pretty much any hitch from the Mid 1970's on up till the end of production will fit. The standard hitch is just that basically a strait bar that attaches the the big hole on your transmission. There is the Clevis hitch that also attaches to the big hole and has the advantage of being able to lift up and down with attachment lift. Finally there are several aftermarket hitches available online that will accept a 2" receiver style hitch.

My advice would be to get a standard hitch to start with and if you need a ball you can either make one fit by drilling out the hole or finding a ball with a reduced shank.

Place a want add here on the board more then likely someone close by you will have one they are willing to part with.

CRE1992

I would contact smoreau and get one of his rear hitches. They are awesome. Do not buy the ones from ebay, they are wimpy in comparison to his.

• Like 1

Rosco234

Thank you all for the advice. I will look further into the hitch from Smoreau.

Tankman

Purchased a Horse with an interesting setup. Worked very well for the previous owner.

•Standard WH draw bar, installed; leave it alone

•Rectangular cutout in tool box (new flatbar clearance hole) at the bottom rear

•Rectangular notch (cutout) bottom center of the fender ass'y to clear the new draw bar

•Flat bar setup w/ ball 'n safety chain loops

•Remove two bolts (under the seat), box to tranny

•Increase the length of the bolts to compensate for the new flatbar thickness, two tool box to tranny bolts

•New bar passes the low fender notch (cutout), thru the tool box cutout, bolts to the tranny

•Bar w/ ball is at a decent height for pulling; i.e.: boat, utility, etc., trailers

The setup didn't interfere with the WH draw bar.

can whlvr

i agree that you should contact smoreau,i built a hitch for one of mine with an old reese hitch i had(well not old but i took it off a leased truck that i put it on)heres a pic

004-2.jpg

KC9KAS

Rosco234, :WRS:

Rosco234

Thanks for the tips guys. Tankman,

I am having a bit of difficulty visualizing the setup that you have. Do you happend to have any pictures?

Don1977

Here is the hitch on a 312 it's the same tractor you have.

SAM_0099.jpg

As for options here is my C-120 with the regular hitch and a receiver hitch.

SAM_0108.jpg

Rosco234

Don,

I have a bid in on a draw bar hitch on ebay like the one above. Regarding the reciever hitch, did you make it yourself?

Don1977

Don,

I have a bid in on a draw bar hitch on ebay like the one above. Regarding the reciever hitch, did you make it yourself?

Yes, I modified a copy of Smoreau's hitch with the steel I had. If you build one the bolt holes need to line up with the snow plow hitch that mounts below the rear axle. I also modified mine to use with the clevis hitch. Here is the post.

• Like 1