Sign in to follow this  
Jim_M

Another Oddball From My Collection

Jim_M

Here's another oddball that a lot of people have forgotten about. It's a Yazoo YR-60.

18 horse Wisconsin engine, 60" mower deck. These things were built to last!

f54d.jpg

T-Mo

I actually used one when I was in the Army, back around '78 or '79 that was similar to that one. Also, my lawn mower repair guy had a couple of them a couple of years ago. I thought about buying one of them. It had a Wisconsin engine on it and, I think, a 60" deck just like yours. I'm not sure what the one I used in the Army had, but I remember it was a big learning curve to operate that one.

Jim_M

They all looked pretty much the same from 1960 until sometime in the late 80's or early 90's.

They were marketed as commercial mowers to get around all of the safety switches and guards that the government required for home use equipment.

They're pretty basic, just built for one purpose, to mow a lot of grass in a little time for a lot of years.

Rollerman

Jim thats pretty cool...nice condition compared to a lot of other I have seen.

Back in the 80ies worked in the lawn care business & I remember the owner had one.

This was the pre Z turn era...we had some walk behinds & front runner that were Ransomes brand.

The boss used to threaten us with the Yazoo...said we have to use it if we broke something on are newer stuff...LOL

Stephen in northern IN

refracman

Jim, i have me one of them, its a 74 with a 18 wis on it, bought back in 93 with the 60 deck and 48 snow blower, dont have the deck ( rotted out) or the blower (sold)

but still have the drive unit. im tryin to figure out a way to use the motor, it has about a 100hrs on since i rebiult it. they are a cuttin machine thats for sure.

Jim_M

They do take some getting used to. You can throw yourself off of the seat if you're not careful, and it won't stop and wait for you to get up either!

They get longer when the deck is engaged. The deck slides forward to tighten the drive belt and engage the blades.

It gets hot sitting right behind that big old Wisconson too.

I don't use it much, I just have it because my taste seems to run towards the odd stuff.

refracman

I know what ya mean bout the throwin off thing, buddy of mine wanted to give it a whirl so i says BE CAREFUL. he gets on it starts off slow then decides to speed up a little. then he hits a mole hole rips the wheel out his hands, he goes flyin, it starts chasein him and it bout got him too. pertty scary at the time to him and me! but afterwards it was the funnyest dam thing ya ever seen.

Steve

T-Mo

Thanks, guys, for making think that it wasn't just me. I mentioned in my post above that it had a learning curve - I'm glad it wasn't just me. I remember that when I was using it in the Army, I thought I never will get used to this thing. But I did, though I doubt if I could use one now. That lone rear wheel steering sure was hard to get use to.