Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Old school truck camper

Nick

With all the camper and RV talk thought I would load up some pictures of a local old Ford with a camper top. It has sat for years and just recently was pulled out and put up for sale. Must not be too cheap or the scrap buyers would have it. If it isnt rusted out I bet someone with skills like Eldon could save that old girl and have a nice looking piece. I think those original colors would be a nice match. B)

campertop001.jpg

campertop005.jpg

campertop003.jpg

campertop004.jpg

KyBlue

Im a sucker for the older ford trucks, wonder what he wants for it?? Would make a nice addition to my collection!

Is it just my eyes, or is that a Camper Special?? To me it looks like the R/A is back farther than the Regular longbeds ... If it is a camper special...be worth a bit more and would SUCK to see it get scrapped!

kj4kicks

Not a bad looking old truck! It's a 1967: only year of that body style with that grille, and no side marker lights in the back (just the low mount reflectors).

Pretty sure it's not a camper special, it has standard 1/2 ton 5 lug wheels.

It would make a nice resto project, looks pretty solid.

Price ?

kj4kicks

BTW, The R/A is where it's supposed to be:

P1014964.JPG

Brrly1

Hey Nick, Do you have a phone #

KyBlue

Okay, I figured it was Probably my eyes!

Nick

Had to run to town so I went past the Ford on my way. Sign in the window says they think it a 1969 and "sat for a few years good for parts $900". Has a couple fist size holes in the front of the hood and some rust along the sides of the bed. Didnt get real close to see how the floors are. I would guess the scrap metal price would make it worth around $300 or $400. Truck is located just north of Wapakoneta and maybe 2 or 3 miles off I-75 exit 113. I can get better pics if needed and can PM or email the phone# nick857 @yahoo.com

This is also just a few miles down the road from my local Toro WH dealer. B)

linen beige

Um, Eldon, That's a '69. The '67 & '68 didn't have the wider horizontal bar running across the middle of the grill. This one has the indentation painted red (Factory. I think part of the Ranger trim.). The '67 had the inside rear view mirror mounted to the windsheild frame. This one looks like it's glued to the glass. That started in '68. Also, the front side marker lights didn't show up 'til '68. The rear low mount side reflectors started in '68. The reflectors this one has mounted on the lower rear of the bed didn't show up 'til '69. The camper specials had Dietz clearance lights mounted on the sides. I'm not sure dual tanks were on all camper specials, but you'll have trouble finding one that doesn't have them.

Value of this truck swings heavily on which drive train is in it. It could have anything from a small I-6 1-V. to a 429 4-V. It could also be anything from a 3 on the tree, 4 speed, 4 speed w/bulldog, or cruisamatic. Several rear end ratios were available also. If anyone is going to look at it for possible purchase, the REAL weak points as far as rust out were the front cab mounts. They could rust out and cause the cab to be supported by the steering column. That won't seem to be too serious a problem until you went to make a quick left turn across on coming traffic. Then on the column shift automatics the bind would force it into neutral just as you started across the other lane and you would be stuck. That happened to me more than a few times in my brother's '68.

Almost all the body panels, well, almost the whole truck, is still available from many suppliers, so a full restore would be fairly easy. This is the style Ford truck I've wanted since they were new, just never can find the funds for the right one. I'd settle for a '78 F-250 camper special with a 460 4-V in decent shape.

Nick

Jim, You know I looked into that cab and didnt even pay attention to what transmission it had. :imstupid: I think it was an auto but could have been a 3 on the tree.

I would also love to have a restored old truck like this one or like Eldon drives. B) As a kid Dad wold let me reach over and shift his 65 F250 with a granny gear 4 speed. I think it had a 352. Years ago an old friend had one of the super camper specials with a 429 in it. :whistle:

kj4kicks

Oops, at a glance it looked like the one-piece grille, and I missed the reflectors.

B)

linen beige

Oops, at a glance it looked like the one-piece grille, and I missed the reflectors.

B)

I cheated. B):whistle:

Google FORDification. Interesting site for old Ford truck fans.

KyBlue

www.fordification.com that guy is a total idiot. hes parted out and scrapped so many different trucks to find a perfect cab or a perfect bed... and last i looked on that site, he wasnt even working on the friggin truck anymore!!! ARGH!!

Srry I hate people that scrap and trash stuff cause it isnt perfect. Fixing rust is not a big deal, if we trash everything that has rust now...in 5-10 years... we'll be fixing stuff that needs everything but a ROOF!! like my truck was!!

shameless plug -

700764.jpg

nylyon

That one looks pretty decent. We had a 1975 F-250 XLT Camper Special with a 360 2V and 4-speed. The engine started to blow oil so we short blocked it with a 390. Plenty of power, and that granny gear could pull down schools.

KyBlue

Which one looks pretty decent there fearless leader?

nylyon

Scott, you sneaked in there. I think that the one which Nick posted looked decent. The one you posted is quite nice as well. Is that a 74?

KyBlue

And I dont even have Sneakers on!!

Itsa 75 F250 Highboy 4x4 VERY well built 390 Np435 4spd NP 205 Div. Tcase, 4.11s in the axles, 35s and the ever not so popular 16.5 rims! But THey Say Carroll Shelby on the backside, Sooo Im keepin em!

nother shameless plug or two:

Shameless Plug #1

I love my Fords!

T-Mo

I had two Fords of that vintage, both '71s. The first one was a F250 Camper Special, 300 six and automatic. Got lousy gas mileage but could pull the "devil out of hell". The second '71 one I had was a F150 with the 302 and automatic. And as was mentioned here, the weak points on these trucks were the cab mounts rusting out.

HorseFixer

Thats kinda a blast from the past! :whistle: My dad had a chevy truck with almost that exact camper! That would been back in like 1972 or so! B)

Duke