Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead

Don't rebuild a Kohler engine w/Kohler parts!

Hammerhead

I am rebuilding a 7 hp. Kohler for my 702 resto job. I ordered the parts from Kohler including, rod, 010. over piston, rings set, cam shaft kit, valves, springs, gasket kit, points, condensor and all the stuff to make it new inside. I was shocked at the price of this stuff! It was $800.00 and some change for crikey sakes! I about fell over. Then the machine shop charges $200.00 or so to grind the crank, do the valves and bore out the block. That doesn't include all the time I have in the reassembly of all the parts. So for about $1200.00 you can have a nice new engine! Don't tell the wife on this one! So my custom 702 is now a high priced trailer queen! LOL...I should have used a Stens kit on it for about $125.00....Ooops! I guess it will last forever being a show tractor and not being used alot. Anybody else have this happen? KJ

Ken B

Nope, it hasn't happened to me and it ain't gonna. That is just a wee bit outta my price range for a little 7 hp Kohler! Good luck with it though.

Buckshot 1

I just rebuild a K-301 for a Buddy. He is on the cheap side and we used the Stens kit. Even with the overbore and cut crank it (under a 100$ at the machine shop) and my reduced labor rate , it came in under 350$. On my K-321 I did two years ago, using all Kohler parts, piston, rod, valves and etc. and machine work, Mr. Kirks reground cam. It came in under 700$. So I am having a hard time understanding where 800$ of Kohler parts came from for a K-161.Also I do not know what the machine shops labor rate is in your part of the country, but 200$ seems high. If the Warden (wife) found out that I put that much money in a K-161, I would be living in the shop for the next ten years. :flags-usa:

VinsRJ

Made that mistake once before rebiulding a K161... Not again.

Don1977

I priced a piston and rings for a K-321 from NAPA it was $100 and they would have to order it and it would be $30 more. I didn't order it. My guess is they charged a premium price then nailed you with shipping on each individual part, but I still don't see how they came up with $800.

Rooster

We are so used to EBay prices…

When I buy new Briggs pistons they run from $65-$100 with my discount!

But $800???????

I can build race engines for the money some of you are spending for stock rebuilds! I've never had over $200 in a K motor?

leeave96

FWIW, I don't mind spending a pile of $$$'s on a "keeper/lifetime" machine, and I've got a couple - tractors that will out live me and will serve my boy's needs when it's their turn for a long time.

But it is hard to justify have a bunch of extra tractors on hand if they need major surgery and there is potential you will sell them down the road.

Bill

Butch

Generic piston and rod doesn't even come close to the quality and heftiness of the Kohler parts. But there are a lot of people having good luck with the cheaper parts.

Wheel-N-It

This summer I had a K-341 rebuilt. Machine shop turned and polished the crank. New Kohler piston, rings, and rod. New carburator, and whatever else was needed. $865 was the total bill including R&R the engine, and tuning. Can't complain though. I got a quality built, and that engine should last a long long time. Actually I am very happy with it all.

SousaKerry

Think that's bad try buying Wisconsin parts sometime...

They get over $500 for a starter. New rings for your 4 cylinder $400 and change.

Did a little research bought a set of Hastings rings for under $100. Seal kit $25, Fuel pump $40 Head Gaskets $30.

$200 bucks for an aftermarket refresh but it took me a month to track down all the parts.

But I am still looking for that starter.

MalMac

I always use Kohler oem, but I don't pay that. Most of the time I order my parts from OEP engines. Most of the time they are 30 to 65% cheaper on oem parts. Kohler is pricey but you get what you pay for. If it is just going to be a show piece then I might think on using aftermarket. But for one that is going to get used for what it was intended, oem is prefered. I will admit to getting burned that way years ago that's why I started shopping around. Some of these dealers and part house's really stick you and never bat an eye.

• Like 1

rick

My 2 cents worth- I would rather buy a machine before it gets hacked by a bum engine job. I use my machines , both the WH tractors and Troy-Bilt Horse tillers, hard and expect them to hold up. I will stray from OEM only to improve, not to cheapen.