Sign in to follow this  
Tap53

Looking for D6 Cat Expert

Tap53

Just bought a D6 Cat, Need some expertise on a few problems. If there is some seasoned old mechanics on this forum or you know

of someone, please let me know. Checked with 2 Cat dealerships and the young mechanics just look at me like they had a stroke and grunt out a word that sounds like "What"

Thanks,

Tim

1maidenfan

Post your questions, I'm sure someone will help. :happy-jumpeveryone:

I'm no expert but do have diesel knowledge.

Tap53

last year when I started pony motor it run fine, a year later now when its running it blows oil out of intake and exhaust, if I remember right the motor is an oil splash system, and is splashed into 2 slots that are in the gasket, lubricating the bearing system and valves, excess oil is returned through some internal lines to crankcase...also the slots in the gasket equalize crankcase and valve compartment pressure. I'm not sure of all this but is what I remember over the years...

The reason I'm looking for a seasoned Cat Mechanic is that I dont want to just start pulling stuff apart unless that problem has come up before for someone else..and what the procedure was to remedy the problem.

It could be a plugged line, gasket slot, or something else...

It's not overfilled with oil, the air cleaner is open, the valves are working,

Tim

6wheeler

Tim, just like you I can't really remember what we did on the D8 we had years ago. But a plugged return line sounds familiar. I will talk to my uncle this evening after work and see if he can remember. I think we just took the valve cover off and blew the lines out with air into the crankcase. The big "PIG" as we called it, is just a rusty pile of iron now. It met with an untimely death when a hired man (not me) un-knowingly put 4 gallons of calcium chloride that he mistook for water in the radiator. The machine had a leaking head gasket and we would just fill it up with water when we used it. It was supposed to go in the shop over winter that year and get fixed. It ran fine the day he put it in but then it sat for about 2 weeks after, and in that time locked up tight. My uncle and I went up to the farm where it was sitting and pulled the head but 3 cylinders looked like a rust and corrosion factory and it leaked down into the crankcase so the damage was way too bad.

• Like 1

Tap53

Tim, just like you I can't really remember what we did on the D8 we had years ago. But a plugged return line sounds familiar. I will talk to my uncle this evening after work and see if he can remember. I think we just took the valve cover off and blew the lines out with air into the crankcase. The big "PIG" as we called it, is just a rusty pile of iron now. It met with an untimely death when a hired man (not me) un-knowingly put 4 gallons of calcium chloride that he mistook for water in the radiator. The machine had a leaking head gasket and we would just fill it up with water when we used it. It was supposed to go in the shop over winter that year and get fixed. It ran fine the day he put it in but then it sat for about 2 weeks after, and in that time locked up tight. My uncle and I went up to the farm where it was sitting and pulled the head but 3 cylinders looked like a rust and corrosion factory and it leaked down into the crankcase so the damage was way too bad.

Thats to bad about the D8, and I know when you start replacing cranks, bearings, rods, and everything else that goes with it, it can run into thousands,,and thats if you dont pay shop labor to a cat mechanic,,They were good tree pushers,, I appreciate you taking the time to help out, I think were on the right track about the oil lines, I'm hoping your uncle has a better memory than we have :banghead: .

Thanks alot 6wheeler, will be making a few trips to the cities in the spring so maybe will look ya up...

Thanks again,

Tim

6wheeler

Tim, I talked to him and he thought that was what we did, blow them out. Don't use alot of pressure but they should clean out. When we got the D8 it needed some undercarriage work(a lot) so we got it for.06 cents a pound at an auction. It ran nice though, and learning to use that cable lift was fun. I was 16 when my uncle turned me loose with it in a pasture where we were digging a watering pond. All he said was "Don't get it stuck". Which I did after about 3 hours of grubbing. It took 2 - 5020 JD's and 90' of cable to free it. He just looked at me and said "Don't do that again". Which I didn't. Where about in N.D. are ya? My sister lives in Valley City. I used to haul alot of grain out of North Dakota back in the day. Pat

Tap53

Tim, I talked to him and he thought that was what we did, blow them out. Don't use alot of pressure but they should clean out. When we got the D8 it needed some undercarriage work(a lot) so we got it for.06 cents a pound at an auction. It ran nice though, and learning to use that cable lift was fun. I was 16 when my uncle turned me loose with it in a pasture where we were digging a watering pond. All he said was "Don't get it stuck". Which I did after about 3 hours of grubbing. It took 2 - 5020 JD's and 90' of cable to free it. He just looked at me and said "Don't do that again". Which I didn't. Where about in N.D. are ya? My sister lives in Valley City. I used to haul alot of grain out of North Dakota back in the day. Pat

Thanks alot Pat, I found a diagram and it looks like its not to hard to access that area to blow them out. Alot better than pulling out the pony, thats a heavy knuckle busting job..

I have a house just east of Bluemont lakes in Fargo and my Nursery and Shop, where I spend most of my time, is alittle West and North of Argusville.

Use to spend alot of time in Valley City many years ago, had a few girl friends there, been so long ago dont even remember their names.

Thanks Again,

Tim

6wheeler

I know that area well. One of these days I have to get up there to see little sis and my new niece so maybe I can make a little detour. You know, without tellin' mama why. Yeah those pony motors aren't light, seems like they are damn near as big as the one they start. After crankin' them for awhile, it makes a guy wonder why they just didn't find an electric starter to use.But , I suppose it would have been the size of a hall closet to turn that beast. By the time you fling that crank a hundred times you are too tired to run the machine anyway.

Tap53

They make a retro-fit electric start, around $3000, but heard from some guys that its a big job to install and doesnt spin the Cat engine as fast as the pony and have problems getting the engine to start especially in colder temp.

later,

Tim

baerpath

We had a D6 and a D7 on the farm Both old pipe layers with great under carrages One was straight hand crank the other electric pony start. It was easier to start the hand crank than the electric. As long as you kept a real good grip on the handle lol

Duane

Tap53

I know what you mean Duane, If I tried that now I'd be in a full body cast....

I know many have done this, Wrap the start cord around the slotted flywheel hub and make sure the knot is in its slot, give it a good pull and it kicks back :auto-ambulance:

I cant count how many times I did that, I thinks thats when I learned to swear, and had to look at my hand to make sure everything was still intact..

I learned to get it up to the compression stroke first before pulling...but still a little scary... :pray: