Sign in to follow this  
ray

painted the rj58 first time, good results (video)

ray

I had the rj58 primed for painting, but with the weatherman's forecast that yesterday will probably be the last warm day of the year, I knew that I needed to get a coat of paint on this frame or will have to wait till spring. I never really mastered the rattle can method, it always came out too dull, so I thought I'd give a spraygun a try. This was my first attempt at using a spray gun for anything, but found it to be pretty easy. I used Vansickle tractor paint, which was really easy to mix with minereal spirits at a 1:8 ratio and sprayed it with a detail spray gun. My old pancake compressor handled this without any problems and had power to spare. Here's a video of the results, and if you're interested, I've documented eight videos so far on the rj58 restoration including digging out of the back yard. Right now since I have a little work to do on the hood, only the frame and dash is shown painted. I'll be painting the wheels, deck and plow in the spring. This will be mainly for the grandkids to drive, so this winter I'll working on a little briggs engine to power it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks really good. :thumbs:

Do you have a link to parts 1-7 available to share also? :popcorn:

clemedc

looks good and you did just beat the cold weather

Clem

Zeek

You're lucky can get Van Sickle locally. We only have Majic available at TSC . . . garbage so much so that I threw a partially full rattle can in the trash . . worst crap I have ever used.

ray

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

@Zeek. I had the same problem with VanSickle rattle cans that kept plugging up. I ended up finding another spray cap off something something else to make it work and had to shake it for several minute to get it mixed, Still I found that the quart cans were excellent to work with and easy to mix. I thinned it with mineral spirits and it sprayed great. I think it is just the combination of quality paint and using a detail spray gun vs something that would be used to paint cars is the key.

You can order the paint here at http://www.smithfarmstores.com/ which is also ACE hardware, so it might be sold there too.

Coadster32

If it helps any...the Toro touch up cans clog up big time as well. IMHO, a spray gun is the way to go.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Looks good. You also mentioned that you need to get another coat on it, so be sure to read the instructions on recoat time. Most paints have to be recoated within a certain window of time, otherwise the first coat will have to be scuffed or sanded to be able to have the next coat adhear properly.

After the final coat of paint has had a chance to cure (give it 30 days or so), go to an inconspicuous spot and do a nick/scratch test. I am curious to see how hard the paint dries.

ray

Thanks Maynard, I'll have to check that. There's supposed to be a 60 degree day in the week, I hope the forecast holds.

ray

@ 16Horse Thumper. I've included part one under the restoration section of this forum. You should be able to to see part 1-8 from here. If not, juist type in middyband at the You Tube search box. This reminds me that I'm going to need to move my Wheel Horse videos to a place of its' own.

krazy_horse

The Rj looks very good. I hope to prime my Suburban before it gets cold down south and like you I have to do some work on my Hood.

Rooster

With the Van Sickle, use the Hardener. It gives the paint a better shine and makes the paint more durable.

ray

@Rooster thans for the information.

Fun Engineer

With the Van Sickle, use the Hardener. It gives the paint a better shine and makes the paint more durable.

@Rooster thans for the information.

What Rooster said for sure. The hardner plays an important role in your level of gloss, hardness and how long both will last. Looking good.