Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Sandy has my attention

rmaynard

We sent Com Ed crews out your way from around here. If you get to see some of them guys, give em a cup of coffee.

Steve,

The out of town crews that come into Maryland do a much better job of restoration than the local crews. The coffee is on :coffee: .

• Like 1

Coadster32

We made out ok here. Lots of wind with only some rain. Back to work today, as we have power at the shop as well. Never lost power at the house, and didn't loos satelite tv signal either. Weird. CT definatly dodged a big bullet. I'll prob. help bring the shelter down on Wed. or Thurs.

Butch

Turned out okay here. 1 and a half trees down. Couple of inches of water in our crawl space. Lost cable for awhile. The islands are a mess. My son tried to take a pump to his boss in Sea Isle City and police wouldn't let him in. There is still a lot of rain to the south of us. Wonder what path it is gonna take. It looks like the storm has stalled.

nylyon

Schools are closed again tomorrow. While there was little impact in at my house, my town neighbors apparently weren't as lucky. Down trees and wide spread power outages are keeping the kids home. One town over a large tree fell on a house with 2 young boys playing inside (11 and 13). Sadly, the boys were killed on impact.

Sparky

Damn....thats terrible.

Mike........

redidbull

We made out ok here. Lots of wind with only some rain. Back to work today, as we have power at the shop as well. Never lost power at the house, and didn't loos satelite tv signal either. Weird. CT definatly dodged a big bullet. I'll prob. help bring the shelter down on Wed. or Thurs.

Milford coast got whacked pretty hard as well as Fairfield. Are you away from the water? Made a HUGE difference. I feel for those who lost their homes.Jim

roscoemi

That sucks about the kids. I am glad all you east coasters on RS seem to be doing ok. Normally it takes a day or 3 to get any affects of those kinds of storms way over here, but was suprised when the winds started at about 7pm. I went thru a couple tornado's in a pop up camper as a kid, and can't imagine what that it was like to ride that storm out. Stay safe and watch for the widow makers ( free fallin tree tops).

stevasaurus

Schools are closed again tomorrow. While there was little impact in at my house, my town neighbors apparently weren't as lucky. Down trees and wide spread power outages are keeping the kids home. One town over a large tree fell on a house with 2 young boys playing inside (11 and 13). Sadly, the boys were killed on impact.

I just hate to hear that kind of thing...with the accuracy of the forecast, this probably did not need to happen. My prayers out to all...hopefully there is not much of this. Tragic.

rmaynard

Because our bedroom is in the direct path of a couple of 24" diameter oak trees that are over 90 feet tall, the wife and I spent the evening and night in the basement. Steve, you are correct, that accident was probably avoidable. None the less, it's a tragedy, and I feel so bad for the families involved.

mattd860

Power was really bad before, lights going on and off every 10 seconds, so I put it on generator until it settled. The generator works fantastic, but I was really hoping that we would lose power for at least an hour! It's been really windy here, been having a lot of issues with the pool cover, I hope that it stays on cause I really don't want to re-close the pool at this time of year!

The storm blew off my pool cover! I can't believe I now have to re-close it again - it's full of leaves. Thankfully the cover still seems intact but I'm going to have to find some more shock and other chemicals. Anyways - I'm still without power and I'm not using the generator to power the pool pump so it's going to have to wait a few days. The water is still crystal clear so hopefully it stays that way.

Ken B

Still no power where I'm at. The power company has no idea when it will get turned back on. Today I ran about 200 ft of rope thru the woods and tied it to my 12x20 tent and dragged it out with my truck. I managed to get it flipped back over and tied back down with new anchors. It has some tears and a few rips in it. This spring I'm going to build a real shed and get rid of this Gypsy tent. In all honesty I'm not complaining, no power and rips in my tent are very minor inconveinances compared to what the parents of those two young boys are going thru..

• Like 1

nylyon

Wow!

Coadster32

Milford coast got whacked pretty hard as well as Fairfield. Are you away from the water? Made a HUGE difference. I feel for those who lost their homes.Jim

I'm just on the other side of the highway, prob.1 1/2 miles from the coast. The UI company turned off our neighborhood Tuesday night at 7pm for "saftey reasons". We just got power back today at noon. 6 1/2 days w/o power. Our genny was working overtime. Changed the oil in it twice. 14hrs, and approx 4 gallons of gas a day. (Not really too bad). Others around me were using 10gallons a day +. A modest 4000 watt 8hp briggs deal. We had juice to run the washer, but not the dryer, so we improvised.

Picture.jpg

It all worked out in the end, and we are definatly not complaining. We hosted 110 people at the shelter alot less fortunate than us.

CRE1992

We just got back power around 4:30 pm.

Forest Road

Happy to hear most of you weathered the storm. Im a lineman for the largest utility in the NJ. We were staged at a local area mall with approx 100 lineman from Fl and Mi before the storm hit. I received a phonecall from my wife approx 8 pm to let me know a 100' oak had landed on my roof. She and the boys are fine so its really just a major inconvenience,As i work throughout northern NJ and see the devastation up close Im happy thats all that happened. We were on a generator for a week.

Im on 16 hour shifts until this is over. They're hoping to be caught up by Friday. Im going to be an optimist and agree with them. But what we need to keep in mind is how dangerous conditions are right now. We have wires down all over the place. Just because the wires have been there for a week doesnt mean theyre not dead. People are walking all over the place like its no big deal.

GENERATORS ARE ON ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!! IF SOMEONE HOOKS UP A GENERATOR IMPROPERLY AND BACKFEEDS INT HE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IT CAN BE DEADLY. IN MY AREA WE HAVE 2400 AND 7600 VOLT SYSTEMS. A LITTLE 5000 WATT GENERATOR CAN CREATE THOSE VOLTAGES. IF THE WIRES ARE DOWN STAY AWAY!!!!!!

nylyon

Thank you to all the linemen who are out there working their tails off to restore power. There are incidents where homes are catching fire when the power is restored, many were running generators. Hooking these things up incorrectly can cause a lot of issues for the homeowner as well as those working to restore power. So if you're doing one of those non-standard hookups be sure that you're disconnected from the street!

redidbull

I'm just on the other side of the highway, prob.1 1/2 miles from the coast. The UI company turned off our neighborhood Tuesday night at 7pm for "saftey reasons". We just got power back today at noon. 6 1/2 days w/o power. Our genny was working overtime. Changed the oil in it twice. 14hrs, and approx 4 gallons of gas a day. (Not really too bad). Others around me were using 10gallons a day +. A modest 4000 watt 8hp briggs deal. We had juice to run the washer, but not the dryer, so we improvised.

Picture.jpg

It all worked out in the end, and we are definatly not complaining. We hosted 110 people at the shelter alot less fortunate than us.

My Wife helps run the STFD shelter, Health Dept Nurse, and at the peak they had 156 and 48 pets.I was surprised at the numbers. Jim

Ken B

My power came back on yesterday around 5:30 pm. That worked out well because Trick or Treating was changed to yesterday by our Mayor. I took the 520 out with Cole in tow on the Sulky. We had a great time! The usual neighbors were all out with their kids in tow behind their box store tractors. I got lots of compliments on the 520, its seems people still know a Bad AZZ tractor when they see one.