Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Sandy has my attention

Trouty56

Just lost power at 6pm. Winds are high....

sent via mobile....

Butch

Lots of wind hear on the long island sound coast line. Some tree breanches down, and lights flickering pretty often. I'm thinkin it's just a matter of time. Voulenteered at the local shelter this mrning for 6hours. About 60 people there this morning, but expecting lots more later today. Be safe everyone. Highways were shut down this afternoon, as were all the airports, bus route and railways. Manditory evecuations along the beach houses as well. Flooding is already there, as the low tide isn't really receeding from the wind. Next high tide around mid-night should be a doozie.

Kudos for volunteering Coadster!!

• Like 1

Butch

I had a thought for you guys with the gen. running in the next few days, don't forget to change the oil in the unit, I change mine everyday, after running for 24 hours, I check it at every tank of gas, then change it during the day so it's easier to see, I have 2 generators so I can let the big one cool off to change the oil, and let the little one keep the heat or lights on, I store a few qts of oil with the gen. so I have it when it's time, good luck to all you guys be safe.

Daily? Maybe I'll skip on that future generator!

roscoemi

Be safe guys. Heavy steady wind with gusts to blow away a cat here in northwest Michigan.

squonk

Oil change, Hence the :wh: Jenny. We'd be more apt to keep up on tractor engine maint. on a tractor. Stand alone jenny's are quite often forgotten unless used a lot. Good idea to change jenny oil often. Lots of people I talked to today still had last year's fuel in. Real trouble if it's Tecky powered! Watching that wild crane in Manhattan on the "Crane Cam" Pressure down to 29.18 "hg.

nylyon

Power was really bad before, lights going on and off every 10 seconds, so I put it on generator until it settled. The generator works fantastic, but I was really hoping that we would lose power for at least an hour! It's been really windy here, been having a lot of issues with the pool cover, I hope that it stays on cause I really don't want to re-close the pool at this time of year!

midnight rambler

good luck everybody

SALTYWRIGHT

WE JUST HAD A VERY LARGE TREE COME DOWN IN MY BACK YARD. IT HIT THE HOUSE, BUT NOT TO BAD.

nylyon

You're right on the coast too, must have been much worse for you. Hope that the house is okay, still really windy here.

CRE1992

I am about 30 minutes from the shore in Jersey. Most of my town is with out power. Trees are down everywhere in large numbers. I drove up my road a few hours ago and there were many trees down. I believe we will be without power for a while.

-Charles

Checking in via my iPhone

squonk

60 degs at 5:00 A.M. and calm now with no rain. Barometer is still at 29.18"hg

Kelly

I had a thought for you guys with the gen. running in the next few days, don't forget to change the oil in the unit, I change mine everyday, after running for 24 hours, I check it at every tank of gas, then change it during the day so it's easier to see, I have 2 generators so I can let the big one cool off to change the oil, and let the little one keep the heat or lights on, I store a few qts of oil with the gen. so I have it when it's time, good luck to all you guys be safe.

Daily? Maybe I'll skip on that future generator!

You should change the oil in your tractor every 25 hours right?? if your gen. is eunning full blast for 25 hours shouldn't it get it's oil changed, the tractor might take all summer to rack up the hours, but the gen is running non stop, you could probably go longer if the engine has a filter, but both mine don't.

When I done using the gen. I change the oil, top the gas off and put a big dose of Stabil in the gas and run it 10min with no load, I have yet to have a problem with them starting after setting 6 months, that is about how long we go between uses.

redidbull

We have so far survived the storm in Stratford Ct.. Yard looks OK. We never lost power. Lots of flicker. We are about 2-3 miles from the water. Those on the coast have been evaced. My Wife has been gone alot manning the shelter. Our town had a 6 to 6 curfew and and the highways are still closed. Where I work is about 8ft above SL and we are closed but I am thinking there may be flooding. Our coast seemed to have taken it bad. Jim

nylyon

We're fine here as well, flickering lights, periods of brief power loss one tree (branch) fell and just missed the camper. Cleanup for us will be quick and easy. Hope those closer to the shore recover, seeing the news it's very bad.

SALTYWRIGHT

WE ENDED UP WITH 5 LARGE TREES DOWN IN MY BACK YARD. WE NEVER LOSTED POWER. WE ARE FINE.

fireman

Lost power and cable at 10:00pm lats night. Still have phone, internet and running on generator. I worked Sunday and got off Monday morning. Needless to say I DIDN'T sign up for any overtime. Plenty of young single guys that will work it. I took my next shift off so I don't go back in till next Monday! Hopefully the mess in Stamford will be cleaned up by then.

nylyon

I was thinking of you Jeff and was wondering if you were working or not.

massey

I lost power sometime yesterday while I was at work. Lots of wind/rain throughout the day and into the night. When I got home last night I heard two trees break within 5 minutes of each other, this morning I found 3 giant oaks down, about 8 pines down, numerous tops broken off but thankfully no damage to house, garage, shed, or vehicles. And the generator started on the second pull, so no too bad for me this time. Hope everyone else got off as easy.

Ed

rmaynard

We weathered the storm pretty well here. Only lost electricity in blips that lasted no more than a second at a time. No major limbs down. Lots of rain, but no flooding. All Wheel Horses (and family members) are okay.

Sparky

We got off easy where I am. The heavy winds and rain were late to show up, early to leave, power only flickered a few times and it appears that not one tree came down in my yard.

I guess I was lucky.

On the flip side I now have 16 gallons of gas in the garage for tractor time!

Mike.........

Rooster

Charles AKA CRE92 AKA Trader Chuck lost power around 10:00 last night. Guess they were getting hit pretty heavy. Cannot get him to answer text this AM. I'm sure they probably just don't have signal.But if anyone hears from him tell him to answer his text!!

Rooster

Update: Charles answered as soon as I posted lol

nylyon

If anyone needs any help, just post here. Russ, do you need help with the trees? Can't come during the week, but I can help on the weekend if you need it.

• Like 1

whfan74

Glad to hear that it was very minimal for you guys. Hope others that haven't chimed in yet are doing ok.

stevasaurus

The edge of Sandy is already here in Chicago, that is faster then I can drive to the Big show. 18 to 25 foot waves on Lake Michigan today. It is the kind of storm that sinks big ships on the Great Lakes. I have been watching the Weather Channel all night...WOW...what a mess. Glad you guys are OK and I hope everyone else is too. We sent Com Ed crews out your way from around here. If you get to see some of them guys, give em a cup of coffee. Be safe everyone.