Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

SAE 30W Motor Oil $2.99

rmaynard

Just dropped by my local Advance Auto Parts store last night and picked up a load of their house brand 30W motor oil for $2.99 per quart.

Considering how much the price of gas and oil are these days, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but it is made in the U.S.A. :flags-usa:

• Like 2

Coadster32

Sounds like a good deal. Save a job while you're at it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

BOWTIE

HEY GUYS, I JUST BOUGHT SHELL 30W DETERGENT OIL FOR 2.87 AT MENARDS HERE IN OHIO. THAT IS THIER REGULAR PRICE.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

Fordiesel69

I beleive this comany makes autozone and aap in store branded oils.

http://www.warrenunilube.com/home.html

They are alright. But I do not like their Mercon V or ATF + 4 tranny fluids. The turn brown way to fast.

Tankman

Gettin' to like Advance. I stopped by and picked up ten quarts of Mobil 10w-30 synthetic crankcase oil.

After seeing UPS's maintenance data base, I only use synthetic gear lube for the trannys.

I know a racing "nut", 1 race per tranny before synthetic gear lube.

Now the "nut" gets 3 races per tranny. Huge inprovement.

$4.99 per quart seemed like a good price.

Having owned numerous diesels, oil changes are habit. I believe in frequent oil changes.

One diesel I owned, think it was a 318 Detroit, used 44 quarts at each oil change. Ouch.

Buckshot 1

:) If you have a Rural King in your area, they have their house brand all weights for 1.99$ a qt, I do not know who makes it, buts it made in the USA. Plus at O'reilys you can use your service number or claim Senoir citizen for a discount. Napa, AAA card 10% discount. :flags-usa:

persof

Use care with no name oil as I put ACE 30W oil in my Toro push mower and 312-8. In the push mower the oil turned black and it started to smoke a after only a few hours (I only use it for trim work). Dumped it out of the mower and WH ASAP! Only use quality name brand oil and even after a full season it is only slightly darker when I change it in the fall.

No savings with oil!

Francis

groundhog47

Just dropped by my local Advance Auto Parts store last night and picked up a load of their house brand 30W motor oil for $2.99 per quart.

Considering how much the price of gas and oil are these days, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but it is made in the U.S.A. :flags-usa:

You like me prob remember when we could get oil less than .75. Used to sell recycled/rerefined oil at station out in front rack in glass jars for .25 qt. Does sound like a good price, I'm still stuck in the past and can't fathom some of these gougin' prices!

groundhog47

:) If you have a Rural King in your area, they have their house brand all weights for 1.99$ a qt, I do not know who makes it, buts it made in the USA. Plus at O'reilys you can use your service number or claim Senoir citizen for a discount. Napa, AAA card 10% discount. :flags-usa:

Hey, did I hear discount, close the doors here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JackC

Use care with no name oil as I put ACE 30W oil in my Toro push mower and 312-8. In the push mower the oil turned black and it started to smoke a after only a few hours (I only use it for trim work). Dumped it out of the mower and WH ASAP! Only use quality name brand oil and even after a full season it is only slightly darker when I change it in the fall.

No savings with oil!

Francis

Very good advice. Best not to take chances with cheap unknown brand oil. I went to a Jiffy Lube once to have them change the oil on my 1985 Mercedes diesel. When I drove out and went on a trip the oil pressure needle was jumping around like crazy for the entire trip. As soon as I got home I dumped it out and used a good name brand oil and the problem went away.

If you plan on keeping something take good care of it.

Terry M

From what i've been told, in a motor oil such as straight 30 wt. with an "API" service indicated as SL, SM or the latest SN, the oil should be of the same equal quality regardless of brand or price. The actual additives in these oils are manufactured by only two different companys in the U.S. with" SN" being the most recent service indication. So from what I understand it should be the same stuff . So price, brand , or who sells it shouldn't make a difference as long as it was manufactured in the U.S.. Just make sure containers are sealed to prevent contamination or anything else. I will agree, when you don't see where the oil is coming from (i.e. jiffy lube) there is no sure way to know what your getting when you do't see it go in or know where it came from.

Thats what I know. :)

• Like 2

Buckshot 1

:) Gerry, I remmeber those days well. My Grandfather owned a Texaco station. He used to get refine Quaker state in 55 gal drums. It was my job to pump the oil in those glass jars with the a tin funnel attached. Of course it was a hand pump, that only turned one revolution and then you turned in back and started again. If I remmber correctly they sold for .10/15 cents a quart. Terry M. I have a buddy that had is Wife take her car to Jiffy lube for an oil and filter change, she got about a half a mile down the street and the engine locked up they forgot to put the oil back in. That cost Jiffy lube a pretty penny to replace the engine. :flags-usa:

tractornut86

Synthetic is the way to go anymore. In my truck i use Amsoil and i love it! The truck runs a lot better as in more power and better mpg. It is almost $8 a qrt but also 10,000 mile oil. In my tractors i been thinking bout switching over to Rotella 10-30 synthetic blend and its like $13 for a gallon.