Sign in to follow this  
3609horse

Mower deck blade question

3609horse

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, I have two decks one off a charger 9 and one off a raider 10.

Both decks are 42" side discharge and are very simalar. The deck off the charger has the metal guard on

the inside of the deck that follows the path of the blade and the blades seem to be the same length. The

deck off the raider does not have the metal on the inside of the deck and the blades are all the same length

but there is about 1.5" between the middle and outside blades and this leaves a strip of uncut grass on each

side. Should the blade in the middle be longer or do I have to fab up an insert like the other deck. I know this

is a long question but couldn't figure out how else to discribe it. Any help would be appreciated. There are no

serial numbers on either deck. Thanks

Gene,

dbartlett1958

I would think all 3 blades should be identical. Something isn't quite right with your set-up.

chevrat68

Are the blades the same size on both decks?

chevrat68

I have a '71 raider 14 with a 48" deck. The baffle was almost completely rotted off. See if there is a trace of a baffle weld on the deck.

3609horse

Thanks for the reponces. All three blades on both decks are the same size. And there are traces of a baffle. (thats the word I couldn't think of ) Now could I use

a different blade setup or do I have to install a baffle. The deck is in great shape other than that. Thanks..

Gene..

GlenPettit

Your '71 Raider should take a #100200 Blade Kit (used on all 42" SD decks from '66 to '76), I don't know the actual blade length.

The gap should be only about 1/8", I don't have a blade here to measure, but guess they are about 141/4" long, each;

BUT, they are correctly measured on a diagonal (outside rear back corners & through the center hole) (the cutting edge wears

down and is not consistent, back edge is always 'new', and measure the diagonal).

It is certainly possible that someone put on the wrong blades. If you have to get new blades, consider 'Gator Blades',

you can google up the correct sizes, http://www.gatorblade.com/. Be sure to compare the prices at your local Auto Parts store.

The baffles helped in chopping up the grass finer and directed out-flow better (also called recycler), are not required.

Good Luck, Glen

• Like 1

dsholler

Something is very wrong. Are you sure the RH blade on the one that leaves a gap is the same as the others? Remember the blades overlap (this is why the middle one is offset, not in a straight line. ) The missing baffle will not make a difference in the blade overlap (if they do not overlap, there will be a strip of uncut grass, whether or not the baffle is present). from what you described, either the right side blade is too short, and not overlapping with the center one, or the deck dimensions themselves have been altered in some way (deck/spindles bent) , so that this spindle is further away from the other spindles. (of course, if it has been rebuilt, who knows.. it could be that the other two are too close together...) There are numerous stories on here about people getting uneven cuts and strips of uncut grass because the deck shell is bent. I have bent mine by catching the wheels on stuff.. I just manhandled it until it seemed straight again, and it was fine.

Don1977

Are the blades still square on the ends or they rounded off on the cutting edge. If they are rounded off on the cutting edge that will make them shorter and may cause it to leave strips of uncut grass. The cutting length of a new blade is from end point of the sharpened side to the end point of other sharpened side.

chevrat68

The baffle also provides for proper air flow through. If that piece is missing your grass will not be discharged through the side. A lot of it will blow out the back. Not a big problem. But if your like me it will drive you nuts. :(

chevrat68

I sent you an e mail. Don't know if it will help or not. Let me know if its helpful

• Like 1

3609horse

Your '71 Raider should take a #100200 Blade Kit (used on all 42" SD decks from '66 to '76), I don't know the actual blade length.

The gap should be only about 1/8", I don't have a blade here to measure, but guess they are about 141/4" long, each;

BUT, they are correctly measured on a diagonal (outside rear back corners & through the center hole) (the cutting edge wears

down and is not consistent, back edge is always 'new', and measure the diagonal).

It is certainly possible that someone put on the wrong blades. If you have to get new blades, consider 'Gator Blades',

you can google up the correct sizes, http://www.gatorblade.com/. Be sure to compare the prices at your local Auto Parts store.

The baffles helped in chopping up the grass finer and directed out-flow better (also called recycler), are not required.

Good Luck, Glen

Thanks for your help, I think they might be the wrong blades, I will go to my dad's and messure them this weekend. I will also look into getting gator blades, didn't think they would fit these decks. Thanks again..