Sign in to follow this  
ranscobia

Axle seals leaking

ranscobia

post-8764-0-15386800-1350796159_thumb.jpMy 12 year old son is a proud new owner of a 1974 C100. 8 speed gear transmission.

This tractor was given to him to be a project.

I need to replace the axle and brake seals. My question is can the seals be replaced without splitting the trany?

Also what oil is used in the trany and what is the capacity?

Thanks,

Randy

Trouty56

Those seals can be replaced without opening up the tranny. If they are leaking bad chances are the hubs are loosened up so they will pull off easy. They can be a bear sometimes....most of the time. Check the axle for side to side play. Here's a manual from the files area.... There are lots of topics on this procedure. The search at the top should get you some information..... Welcome to the site!!

http://www.wheelhors...manual-rev-482/

rmaynard

2 quarts of SAE 90-140 A.P.I. Service GL-5 Gear Lubricant.

Great looking project tractor.

ranscobia

Thanks for the info and manual link. I will get the correct oil and change it out.

I may have to open trany up anyway, looks like water has gotten in (probably thru the gear shift lever).

Next step will be to get the charging/electrical system working. I have good voltage from the stator to the Reg. and 0vdc out on the r+ term.

I found an after market Regulator for $40.00 should have it next week sometime.

Thanks again

whc160

Here is a link to how I replace the seals & fix the loose hubs.

I had water in one of my trans. I drained the oil for two days. Then filled the trans with diesel fuel & drove it around for 10 min. Let drain for two more days & filled with new oil. Depending on how bad it is you may have to flush the trans two times to get it all out.

The C's are great workers & I hope your son enjoys it as much as I enjoy mine.

Trouty56

Make sure that rectifier is grounded good......

ranscobia

I was thinking about adding a ground wire so I do not have to rely on the mounting hardware.

Maybe carefully drill and tap a fin with an 8/32 machine screw.

k+s 1277

hi,im new to this site,have downloaded manual transmission repair ,unless i didnt get it all downloaded,cant find anything on axel seals for 74 c-100,76 b-100. need help. i know it cant be that hard ,but would like to know the right procedure. 8-speed high low.???

rmaynard

K + S - :WRS:

Axle seals should be covered in the manual. The correct seal for your C-100 and B-100 is part number 100443. When replacing seal with the transmission still installed on the tractor, you must remove the wheel hubs. Then the seals can be removed from the outside and reinstalled. There are several threads on this forum that deal specifically with the removal and replacement of seals. The hardest part for most people is getting the rusted hubs off the axles.

I will try to locate a thread for you to read, but right about now, Grandpa Santa is a little busy.

Try this one for a start:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

k+s 1277

can anyone tell me what napa number would be for trans seal for drive pulley for b-100,8-speed.1976.??

pfrederi

WH 1303 CR 7410

• Like 1

k+s 1277

thankyou for all your help.