Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Unidrive Transmission Boss at Rear - Ever Break???

leeave96

Anyone ever break or saw a unidrive tranny case boss where the pin for the rear hitch and/or the clevis hitch attaches? While it is beefy, it is narrow from side to side IMHO. I've put a lot of stress on this boss with my 520H and 314-8 via clevis hitch and moldboard plow.

Just curious if anyone had ever broken this boss off and under what kind of load/work?

Thanks!

Bill

kpinnc

I've seen them broken off, but have no idea how it happened. Like you, I use a Brinly plow and clevis hitch, and mine still keeps going.

Cast iron is pretty tough stuff. I always assumed it was broken from some kind of shock- like dropping a big (trailer tongue?) load onto a drawbar hitch. I've also seen them break when someone tried to drive out a rusted hitch pin with a hammer.

SousaKerry

As cast can be brittle especially in cold weather and under shock loads, this would most likely be the cause of failure. Unless there is an undetected casting defect in the casting itself. Under normal use I would say that it is dang near impossible to break.

That being said I have jerk pulled stumps with a log chain connected the the clevis hitch on my C-175Auto and have hit hard enough to pull the front wheels completely off the ground and knock my glasses off my head and never had a problem with it. I have also moved very heavy trailers of wood with it with no problem.

(Red Square under no circumstances endorses the activities of this user or any advice or opinions expressed are purely his own. :ychain: )

• Like 1

RCTruckDaddy

I've seen one broken because they weren't squared up with what they were pulling. Put a side load on it.

ericj

when i was a teenager dad had me pulling telephone poles with our 74 D200 and we bent the pin that holds the hitch in the trans and broke the boss out, but it was all ok in the long run because the trans dropped a bolt out of the diff and out the bottom of the trans case. my dads dealer came and picked it up in a datsun p/u, a 1500 # tractor in that little truck, and hauled it back to the shop were wheel horse payed for the new trans under warrenty. i had a guy call me looking for a trans for a c series tractor that he pulled a hole in the back of the trans trying to pull something. so i guess it can happen, but it take some type of abuse to break it i've jerked and tuged pretty hard and never broke one other than the D200

eric j