Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

It's been about a year.

nylyon

It's amazing how somethings seem to be timed perfectly.

One year ago, RedSquare was hosted on a free service called Forumer. Forumer did have a charge for several services, chat and ad removal. Many of our members wanted to financially support RedSquare, and in turn the supporter program was instituted.

One year ago, Forumer began to have severe performance problems and RedSquare performance was horrible. 20 minutes just to log in wasn't unusual, not being able to post, check PM's etc. We began to look for ways to get off of Forumer.

One year ago, we successfully extracted the RedSquare data from forumer, but lost all PM's, email addresses, passwords and some pictures, but the testing continued.

During this time, Forumer began to experience database problems, we established a temporary RedSquare (RedSquare Jr.) where we could continue to discuss "stuff". It became clear that we needed to get off of Forumer, and we did!

Timing was perfect, getting a successful extraction of our data, having a supporter program in place which allowed us to purchase our own software and lease a system to run it on.

On October 31, we will mark our 1 year off of Forumer. I remember switching the DNS entries and going Trick or Treating with my kids, checking my cell phone for issues, but there were few.

So this will mark the one year where I say, thank you to our supporters. For those who are new here and wondered about the supporter program, there you have it. Bottom line is if we didn't have the supporter program in place, RedSquare would certainly not be where it is today. Today, the money received goes towards hosting fees, software licensing fees, skin costs, misc upgrade costs, forum development / testing software support. We also contribute to Childhood Cancer research

If you are interested in becoming a Supporter of RedSquare, visit our store to purchase a package which best suites you. In addition to supporting this fine forum, you will receive additional forum privileges which include additional picture posting, PM's, special Supporter forum, and other perks.

Finally, to our supporters who helped us through the rough patch, thank you!

• Like 3

rmaynard

Thanks for all you have done. I can't believe that it's been a year. I think that I would have had to go into therapy if you hadn't gotten the "new" RedSquare up and running.

stevasaurus

I agree with what Bob said...and I did go to therapy :) :) . Physical Therapy. Thanks Karl. :bow-blue:

VinsRJ

I have to provide my thanks too for all of your hard work... of all the forums I chat on, this is the only one I check consitantly.

JimD

It's been a good year. Thanks to

Karl we have a great home here. Oh yea, Bob, you still need therapy. :ychain:

1maidenfan

I agree with what Bob said...and I did go to therapy :) :) . Physical Therapy. Thanks Karl. :bow-blue:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :ychain:

can whlvr

i too thank you karl and every one else that make red square happen,its been a fast year,seems like a month or so only

• Like 1

squonk

Physical therapy down. 1 more to go!! :ychain: :ychain: :) :)
  • Like 1

Coadster32

i too thank you karl and every one else that make red square happen,its been a fast year,seems like a month or so only

Well put....X2 for me on that. :beer:

Fun Engineer

I didn't know how the forum was funded or run till now. Proud to be a new supporter. Thanks for your time Karl.

nylyon

That's why I periodically post things like this. Many if not most forums have both a donation AND sell advertising, I hope to NEVER have to do that. It's great not seeing "Ads by Google" on the forum, and the supporters are how it happens. Hosting on a paid server also guarantees that the data is ours and not some company who's interest in the forum is to sell advertising!

nylyon

Well, it looks like it's gone. The original whtractor.15.forumer.com appears to have been removed and not transferred to the new service.

RIP whtractor.15.forumer.com, and long live wheelhorseforum.com!

smoreau

:text-yeahthat: :text-thankyoublue: Karl for all that you do! Long live :rs:

jay in nc

thank you karl for all you do. i love rs. & am happy to be a supporter. Jay