Sign in to follow this  
msiemr

C-145 14hp Kohler tear down

msiemr

Hello, I am new to this fourm. The piston in my motor is no longer working, I think it is no longer attached to the crank shaft. I am in the process of tearing to motor down to find out why and to see if I can reattach it. I triled to remove the flly wheell to access the shaft or what ever else needs removed. I threaded a couple of bolts on the shaft and used a puller, with no luck. I may be headed in the wrong direction, I don't know at this point. Any help will be apprreciated. Mark

msiemr

Picture

Save Old Iron

Mark,

try removing the oil pan, if the piston is "disconnected" from the crankshaft, the reason will be clearly visible.

msiemr

Thank You

can whlvr

a harmonic puller and a little heat should get the flywheel off,but do as soi said,probally the rod broke ,if it did you may need to rebuild,definatly check all specs,crank journal,bore,valve guides,valves and seats and check head for flatness,usually once the engine is worn enough to throw a rod she needs some work,its rare to just be able to throw a rod on her and call it a day

sorekiwi

Get hold of the repair manual for your engine. It will walk you through the process.

SousaKerry

Usually a little pressure with a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller and a wrap from a dead blow hammer on the flywheel itself will knock it loose. Be careful what you hit though the blow needs to be as close to the shaft as possible but not on the shaft and don't kit a fan blade or it will break. Too hard of a hit and you may crack the flywheel so don't use the 10lb sledge.

When I do this i use a chunk of brass rod aboput an inch in diameter and 8 inches long place one end on the flywheel near the shaft and smack the other end with a ballpeen, dead blow or brass hammer.