Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Is Rubber Mounting Required for Kohler K or M 16hp Engines?

Wheel-N-It

Excuse my ignorance guys. I am exploring the possibility of installing a 14 or 16 horsepower Kohler engine in a 12hp WH tractor. Will I need to use a shaker plate or some other kind of rubber mounting system to do this properly?

Also, is there an application chart or cross reference information available based on the Spec Number of the Kohler engine?

Thank you for your help,

Van

Don1977

There are two types of Kohler engines a 341S or standard engine has a wide oil pan and can be bolted directly to the frame. The Standard Wheel Horse engine oil pan has two threaded holes in the bottom of the pan to bolt up from the bottom of the frame. The 341AS will require the rubber mount. The AS engine also had a different 1 quart oil pans used on Cub Cadet and JD. The oil pans between the standard "S" and the "AS" engines are not a bolt on exchange.

rmaynard

If the tractor that you are wanting to put the engine on is a solid mount now, then stick with a solid mount engine. If the tractor has a cradle mount engine now, then go with another cradle mount. It's easier that way. Less modification to deal with.

JackC

Not that this is a deciding factor, but I am finding more worn hood hinges on the solid mount tractors compared to the cradle mount engine tractors. I have had to replaced the hood hinges on two solid mount tractors but none on the cradle mount tractors. The cradle with the rubber isolation bushings does appear to reduce vibration to the rest of the machine.

Wheel-N-It

Thank you Don, Bob, and Jack. This right now is just an idea I am kicking around. Right now I am mechanically restoring Dad's old Simplicity. This project should last me through the Winter (figuring in all the holiday times), so I am already looking ahead at the next project after that one. I don't know quite yet what that project will be, but having your information will help me make that decision.

You fella's are great!