Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Attaching a mower deck?

Butch

Is there a trick to attaching a mower deck? I only have a 36" SD and it's more than enough for me to handle. I couldn't imagine having a 48" deck. Anyway everytime I go to attach the deck into the slots of the Mid -attach-a-matic I can't get both sides in. It's one or the other. I've spent an hour or longer trying to get it attached. I always end up calling my wife to help and then it's still not automatic.

TT

Once the deck is under the tractor and the pin on the "T bar" is in the slot of the deck carriage, raise the deck slowly with the attachment lift lever (manual of hydraulic) while carefully guiding the front hitch bar of the deck into the slots of the hitch mounted on the tractor frame.

Once the deck is fully raised / locked in the "up" position, shake the deck or wiggle it side to side until the hitch can be latched.

• Like 1

nylyon

When you slide the deck under the tractor, attach the lift bar and (with a hydro it's easier) lift the deck with the attachment lift. Carefully ensure that the v groove on the mounting bar engages the shaft on the attach-a-matic. Continue lifting until both sides are engaged in the attach-a-matic and close the latch.

I would suspect that if the lift isn't lifting the deck fully, you will need to adjust the lift so it raises the deck fully. Proper adjustment is when the pads on the mower deck just touch the floor boards when fully raised. If they do not you need to adjust the lift so that occurs. Hope I explained okay?

TT beat me to it again!

• Like 1

Butch

Lift the deck!! DUH!! I've been leaving it in the lowered position. No wonder I've been struggling. Thanks guys!!

nylyon

By the way, you remove it the opposite, with the lift all the way up, release the lever then lower the deck, otherwise you may catch your hand or foot in the crash.

• Like 1

varosd

Don't worry about it Butch! After only messing around with a 36"RD with manual lift, I did kinda scratch my head when it came time with my 520 with 48" deck and hydro lift!. I would love to see a video on the behemoth 60" deck getting attached!

Butch

Don't worry about it Butch! After only messing around with a 36"RD with manual lift, I did kinda scratch my head when it came time with my 520 with 48" deck and hydro lift!. I would love to see a video on the behemoth 60" deck getting attached!

Don I couldn't imagine trying to drag it under the tractor. I tried the driving over the deck but it didn't work for the 36" deck. It will probably work for the 48" and the 60". But those suckers are heavy to be tossing around. Once I fix the PTO problem on my C-85 the mower deck will get mounted and stay there. The C-175 will rotate with the snowplow, mid grader and moldboard plow. The snowplow is another PIA to mount. Wheelhorse sure didn't manufacture anything light!

dsholler

I have a 48" deck and take it off to service it every 25 hours like it tells you to. It is heavy, no doubt, but the key is to do it on a smooth surface where you can drag it sideways. Someone in another thread suggested putting a sheet of some smooth material (MDF?) under the deck, dropping the deck and either dragging the deck, or better still, dragging the sheet out from under the tractor. I have not tried this, but I have discovered it is much easier to drag the deck out when parked in my garage with the (relatively smooth) concrete floor, rather than on the asphalt in the shed.

Butch

I have a 48" deck and take it off to service it every 25 hours like it tells you to. It is heavy, no doubt, but the key is to do it on a smooth surface where you can drag it sideways. Someone in another thread suggested putting a sheet of some smooth material (MDF?) under the deck, dropping the deck and either dragging the deck, or better still, dragging the sheet out from under the tractor. I have not tried this, but I have discovered it is much easier to drag the deck out when parked in my garage with the (relatively smooth) concrete floor, rather than on the asphalt in the shed.

I've been dragging it over the dirt and it does dig in!