Sign in to follow this  
rprevost

518H v. 520H

rprevost

I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. I apologize upfront if I am doing something wrong or inappropriate.

I have never owned a Wheel Horse. For the last several years, I have been buying cheap used Craftsman machines that fall apart pretty quickly. I have about 3 acres to mow. Much of it is on a hillside, and parts of it can be rough. I occasionally pull a cart for trash pickup. I have spent more money repairing these cheap mowers than what I paid for them when I bought them.

After a little research on heavy-duty garden tractors, I thought the Wheel Horse would do the trick. Now, I have available two different tractors, a 518H (listed at $699) and a 520H (listed at $775). I am trying to decide why I should buy the 520H over the 518H. What is the advantage of the larger machine with its hydraulics? I worry that it would just be something else to go wrong.

What I need to look for when I go look at the machines?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Rob Prevost

North Carolina

Rollerman

For the price if the condition between the two is the same I'd say the 520 is the better machine.

Both the 518 & 520 used similar Onan engines, but that & sheet metal is about all they share.

The 520H used a more "robust" Eaton 1100 series hydrostatic trans with a power output for hydraulic lift.

It will raise a snowplow, snowblower, mower deck or a rear attacment with an optional rear lift.

520's also used heavier components throughout.

The 518 used a smaller Eaton 700 series hydrostatic trans, these do not have any hydraulic power output.

The 700's series tractors are also not recomended for "ground engageing" implements....(tiller or garden plow) & have been know to be somewhat weak.

Both would make fine mowing machines.

I'd still opt for the 520 & it's heavier construction.

• Like 1

JackC

520H without a doubt due to the stronger Eaton 11 transmission and there are many more 520Hs available for spare parts if needed compared to the 518H.

Also look for the swept forward front axle on the 520H (1990 and up ?) which was not available on the 518H. That gives you more room underneath to mount and dismount the deck including the big 60 inch deck if your lawn is fairly flat and you want minimum mowing time. The plow however requires an extension kit due to the front wheels being farther forward.

Kelly

I can't say more than has been said, and I vote 520 any day of the week.

sorekiwi

The one advantage of the 518, as compared to the 520, is that without all the bells and whistles the 518 is a lot simpler to deal with than the 520. 520's are notorious for niggly electrical problems and the simpler more basic tractor is easier to diagnose.

For towing a cart around and mowing (assuming you dont want a 60" deck) I'd probably go for the better condition tractor - I'd take a nice 518 over a beat on 520. If you do need the 60" deck, then you have to go for the 520.

• Like 2

JackC

As far as instrumentation goes, the 518H does not have the following that the 520H does have: tachometer, vacuum gauge, engine temperature light and hydraulic temperature light. It also does not have the hydraulic attachment lift. It also does not have the chrome air cleaner cover, chrome dip stick tube, or stainless muffler guard. They both have hour meters. The most important things I look for are low hours, good condition, and how well the PO took care of it if that information is available. If any of those are lacking then the price needs to go way down accordingly and it helps to know what you are buying and why.

rprevost

Thanks for all the responses. I have had the chance to look at the 518-H, but not the 520-H. The 518-H has 1278 hours. It looks like it is in good shape. It was bought from a fellow who collects and services old Wheel Horses and who put on, what looks like, an almost new deck. It was very clean. A very impressive machine. I will report back once I can see the 520-H.

rprevost

I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I ended up buying the 518H rather than the 520H. I would like to have a 520H, but the one that was for sale was in poor condition. The 518H is a 1988 model, with a newer 48" mowing deck on it. There was a little history to it that indicated that it had been treated very well over the years, and it was in excellent shape. The 520H, on the other hand, had obviously been worked hard and was cosmetically not very attractive, e.g. the seat was ripped. The final issue that turned me toward the 518H was that the 520H had grease and oil all over the transmission, suggesting that a gasket on the transmission needed replacing. I balked at buying a machine that would need repairs before I could use it. So I took the advice to buy the one that was in better condition.

I hope it will give me years of service mowing my 3 acres. Now I have to learn to use it properly and maintain it. Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for a 518H?

Wheel-N-It

As far as instrumentation goes, the 518H does not have the following that the 520H does have: tachometer, vacuum gauge, engine temperature light and hydraulic temperature light. It also does not have the hydraulic attachment lift. It also does not have the chrome air cleaner cover, chrome dip stick tube, or stainless muffler guard. They both have hour meters. The most important things I look for are low hours, good condition, and how well the PO took care of it if that information is available. If any of those are lacking then the price needs to go way down accordingly and it helps to know what you are buying and why.

:handgestures-thumbupright: I love cutting grass with Jay's 518

kpinnc

The 518-H will be a great machine for you, especially if your primary use for it is mowing. All the concerns of the transmission are an easy fix should yours ever fail: Just remove the lighter 700-series pump and replace it with the heavier 1100 from any one of MANY tractors that used them. They are not too hard to find, even here in NC.

Besides, making the swap later will give you the option of adding hydraulic lift. I've done the same thing with my 518-H. It's not a difficult process at all, especially if you find a parts machine to cannibalize.

Good luck with your new tractor, and the addiction that comes with owning a Wheel Horse.

Tankman

Congrats on your move, junque to Wheel Horse!

A good place for manuals, Yahoo Groups. Sign up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals3/

dwcphoto

I have a 518H that was pretty beat looking when I bought it in 96 and it's not much prettier now.  The hydro did go soft on mine and I was lucky to find a nice 520H rear end that was a fairly easy install. There were a couple parts to gently pull aside and new hydro lines to create a by-pass since I don't have a hydraulic lift. The thing runs like a champ now. Have fun with it. You got a great machine.

Wheelhorse84

Congrats

coolhandblack

you know the rules... We want pics!

AMC RULES

Sounds like you made a good :wh: choice...hope it works out for you.

:WRS:  

squonk

you know the rules... We want pics!

:text-+1::banana-gotpics::wwp::text-yeahthat:

Kevbo

Welcome to RedSquare! You will find some of the nicest and helpful people on the internet here. ANY question you may have, someone will have an answer :handgestures-thumbupright:

There is only one catch...you have to post pictures of your 518H!! :happy-bouncyyellow:

Tankman

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your "ghost" machine!

Consider the post "Null & Void" without pic's, rules is rules! :smile:

~ Sent from my Digital Ankle Monitor ~

SAM58

A Good 520H is hard to beat....  this one now has 405 hours on the meter.

i have 800.00 in the tractor, 300.00 in the blade, 300.00 in the lug tires.250. in the 48 in deck.

adds up quick... $ 1650.00 total investment. worth every penny. :)

:happy-jumpeveryone:  :happy-jumpeveryone:  :happy-jumpeveryone:  :happy-jumpeveryone:  :happy-jumpeveryone:

IMG_0360.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thats a nice 520! I'd sure like to see a pic of your 314-8.