Sign in to follow this  
jusjeepn

An RJ Story

jusjeepn

Did some swapping with Jim M awhile back and brought home this RJ. Numbers on the trans indicate it could be a 59 and it also has the solid pan seat. I've just been pushing it around the shop hoping to get some spare time to fix a fuel leak so I can use it around the yard.

Monday afternoon I was messing around with the vert getting it ready to take up to Scott's M&G and decided to mess with the RJ. Fixed the fuel leak and putted around the yard a bit.

Tuesday arrived and I got this brilliant idea to do a 4 day refresh on the RJ and take it to the M&g also. Started tearing it down around 3pm and started acessing the damage. One of the previous owners had done an excellent job of protecting it from rusting, unfortunately for me.

100212203501.jpg

The roll pin in the steering wheel had become part of the wheel so I spent over an hour heating and beating till it finally gave in. Now the wheel was another story. Damage acessment for removing wheel: 1 three jaw puller, a tank of O2 & 2 hours. I finally said to hell with it and cut it off.

100212172841.jpg

Had to go ahead and fix it.

100212203239.jpg

Wed. I got home around 11 and started pressure washing, blasting parts, grinding parts and dipping some in the E-tank. I spent the biggest part of the day with a hammer and dollie in hand doing sheet metal work. This was an all day ordeal so that's all that got done, but when I went to bed it was all ready (except the hood)for paint...or so I thought.

Thurs. dawned bright and early. In the shop by 8. Removed the frt wheels from the E-tank and found one had 8 holes in it. Have you ever tried to weld a soda can? An hour & 1/2 later all the holes are welded up and both sides of the wheel dressed & ready for paint. The hood had the standard cracks from the tank straps plus two of the mounting point were broke out. Back to the welder....

Finally got the hood welded up and and a coat of mud on around 12.

100412161806.jpg

Worked with that until I was happy with it...3 hours later! Started spraying around 3:30 & got half the frame done when one of my daughters shows up to pick up her Blazer I've been storing for her. Of course it wont start, has a flat tire and the radiator is empty. Finally got back to spraying an hour later.

100412161730.jpg

100412161702.jpg

100412161715.jpg

I found a few spots I missed on the hood before spraying it so back to the mud. 9pm finally got it in primer.

100412222353.jpg

100412222338.jpg

Finally got some color on it around 11.

100412235748.jpg

Today I'll reassemble, just in time for the M&G

• Like 2

HorseFixer

WoW, Pat boy Howdy, ya talk about a Whirl Wind Resto :notworthy: It Sounds like you have been burnin the candle at both ends. :eek: She looks great, and yeah anymore I just wack the shaft off that way I can work on the blasted thing easier, and introduce it to Mr. Hydro Press which usually along with the heat you mentioned wins the war, and if that dont work theres always sluggo. :hide:

~Duke

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

Wow! That was fast.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Get-R-Done for sure!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very nice! :handgestures-thumbup: Looking forward to seeing it! ~Jake

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Determination, and perseverance will alway prevail.

Nice work, can't wait to see it all put back together. :popcorn:

• Like 1

stevebo

That is the way to get it done- go hard!

• Like 1

fireman

Wow and I thought I put in a lot of time in the shop! Nice Job!

• Like 1

massey

That's some fast work, looks good so far. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Nice Job!

I am always amazed by how fast some of you guys run through a project. Mine seem to last forever....

• Like 1

kpinnc

Beatiful work Pat! And quick too!

• Like 1

groundhog47

Determination, and perseverance will alway prevail.

Nice work, can't wait to see it all put back together. :popcorn:

AGREE and am embarrassed at my pace. Excellent work. Gerry
  • Like 1

HorseFixer

By the way! Glad yer getting use of that shop :tools-wrench: you were talkin to me about! :handgestures-thumbupright: Sure is Great havin a nice place to work huh? :USA:

Take care. ~Duke

• Like 1

jusjeepn

Here's a few more in progress...

100512140522.jpg

100512224552.jpg

100512224621.jpg

Decided to go ahead and replace all of the nuts & bolts in the entire tractor so I had to make another run to town.

100512140541.jpg

After many hours and lot's of coffee, I decided I wasn't going to make my deadline so I didn't repaint the rear wheels. Here it is completely assembled.

100612012040.jpg

100612011658.jpg

100612012011.jpg

100612012220.jpg

It's done enough to take to the show. Unfortunately it has developed another fuel leak, this time at the rebuilt carb. I ran it long enough to burn up the fuel in the carb and will just be pushing it around again until I can fix it on Sunday.

• Like 8

AMC RULES

Well worth the effort, and very nicely done. :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Stigian

Nice job Pat, she looks great with new paint. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

dclarke

Nice work Pat, :thumbs: wish my rj looked that good!

• Like 1

fabricator2009

Well done Pat.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Damn!! Aint no messin around. Glad you're taking it to the show anyhow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Whmaverick

Wow that was fast, my resto projects take four to six months, but guess that's part of the fun. Keep em comin.

• Like 1

krazy_horse

Great job, I cant even round up the tools I need in four days! krazy_horse

• Like 1

312Hydro

Wow, You made that look easy! Great job on the restore and I know there is a lot of unseen work and knowledge to get it looking that nice that quick! :bow-blue:

• Like 1