Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

JD 112 project pics

Wheel-N-It

I know you guys saw Toolman's beautiful John Deere 112. It is a beautiful little tractor. I am posting some pics of a 112 that I just started working on for a good friend. It had been parked outside and had not run for two years. This evening I cut the rivets that were holding the hood on, pulled out the grill to expose the carb, removed the aircleaner assembly, disconnected the fuel line, and gave it a shot of starting fluid. Using the key from my JD140 and a freshly charged battery the little techy fired right up and ran till the starting fluid expired. Enough for tonight with it after the busy day i had. I am planning to work on it some more tomorrow night. Anyway, here are some pics of it, and an extra pic of my 1969 John Deere 140 H3. It is all original.

post-5982-0-79820000-1349054129_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-22097600-1349054152_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-69443600-1349054182_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-76021600-1349054205_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-26184800-1349054242_thumb.jp

Wheel-N-It

Got it running on gasoline tonight using my temporary portable fuel tank. The JD fuel tank needs a good cleaning and boy that carb sure was dirty. I had to break the float bowl seal, and I think it sealed back ok, but the little spring loaded :thingy: that you push to drain the bowl is leaking a small amount. Maybe I can get it to stop somehow using some spray brake cleaner to clean where the push valve seals to the bowl. Tomorrow night I will try to start cleaning the JD fuel tank, and then see how much further my friend wants me to go with it. I did drive it around some, it shifts good and the variator works. The hood is trashed, and its missing some of the linkage to connect the mowing deck. I tell you though, I think the Wheel Horse has a much better and simpler PTO system. Really the more I work on other LAGT's, the more I like Wheel Horses.

Sparky

I'm thinkin that the JD hood was as bad an idea as the plastic rear fenders on the Wheel Horse black-hoods.

Mike.......

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I'm thinkin that the JD hood was as bad an idea as the plastic rear fenders on the Wheel Horse black-hoods.

Mike.......

Yes Mike I agree wholeheartedly. The hood on my JD140 is fiberglass, and leaves me wondering what those John Deere engineers were thinking when they decided to use an alternate material instread of steel????????????????????????

Maybe they were the same guys who designed the "Black Hoods".

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Mike.......

Yes Mike I agree wholeheartedly. The hood on my JD140 is fiberglass, and leaves me wondering what those John Deere engineers were thinking when they decided to use an alternate material instread of steel????????????????????????

Maybe they were the same guys who designed the "Black Hoods".

I wouldn't be surprised if a Bean Counters influenced those decisions.

Ken B

I'm really liking that 140, they are very capable machines!

Wheel-N-It

Thank you Ken. I will post some pics of it as soon as I can get it out of the back of the garage:)

AMC RULES

How's that Tecumseh running?

• Like 1

jay in nc

the PLASTIC hoods on late toro wheelhorses & johndeeres ar so much junk that they should be set on fire and the corp.beancounters should have to breath the fumes till they see the light! just my opinion i could be wrong , Jay

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Craig, the Techy runs good for the shape its in. LOL LOL LOL However the carb needs a good rebuilding. I'lll probably pull it off this weekend and see if NAPA can get a kit for it.

Jay, you are soooo right about those plastic hood JD's! Mom's 325 is (verticle shaft Kawi) is a strong running, comfortable, great handling machine, but there is alot to be desired regarding the hood........

Wheel-N-It

UPDATE;

I took a well deserved day off from work today, and spent the afternoon rebuilding the Techy carb. Boy it was nasty! There was alot of scrubbing and sanding to be done, and cleaning everything over and over with brake cleaner. So after bolting up the newly rebuilt carb and installing a new air filter, the Techy fired up and ran nicely. I was very surprised how quickly it started. One thing I want you guys to know. I have recently changed over to EXXON gasoline. I believe I have discovered that BP gasoline is dirty, and corrosive to certain carb parts such as float needles. A couple of weeks ago I rebuilt the carb on my Dazon off road buggy. It has only had BP gasoline in it, and the float needle was damaged from something corrosive. Also the pumper circuit was clogged. The carb I have on the Dazon is only a year old. I had bought one new with a pumper in it to help with performance. I think it must have been the BP gasoline. A very good friend tells me he has had problems with BP gasoline also, and has stopped using it all together. Anyway, I am going to see how the EXXON works. For now I can tell you the Techy spun over appx one time and fired right up and settled down to an idle, much faster than I had figured. This with the old spark plug in it that has not been changed in a very long time.

OK back to the JD. I drove it around about 30 minutes. The transmission works good. The variator works good, although the linkage is stiff and needs to be lubed. I did grease all the fittings with Lubrication Engineers grease. It steers almost effortlessly now. Before I return the JD to its owner, I will change the transmission oil, and replace it with LUCAS. Unless she gets a different hood soon, it will be going home without one. The old one is damaged beyond repair. Also too. I replaced six missing rear wheel bolts with some used IH Cub Cadet ones. They were exact replacements. I had bought all new ones for my CC 1650. They were $3.50 each. Not cheap when you times that by 10, but I have a freshly rebuilt K-341 pushing a snow blade, and I wanted new wheel bolts to keep me feeling good about putting all that stress on the rear wheel fasteners. Here are a few more pics of the 112 for your enjoyment. One more thing. I have to install the old ( but now clean ) fuel tank. It had very little rust. I will also give it new fuel hose and a new fuel filter.

post-5982-0-40693400-1350960038_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-61171200-1350960071_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-38155200-1350960100_thumb.jp