whfan74

Finally.....movin forward with the 500

whfan74

Finally had some time today after tidying up around my parents property to sit down and start assembling the 500 Special with my 3 year old son. He has been waiting pretty patiently for only being 3. What was supposed to be a 2 week turn around time with the blaster and powder coater.......actually turned in to 6 1/2 weeks. Once we finally were able to go and pick it up some of it needed to be redone. Thankfully that didn't take as long.

This will mainly be a weekend project for us, dad is actually helping out as well so we can make it a 3 generation tractor for him to enjoy. The little guy usually goes to bed fairly early and gets up early so most evenings are out of the question since we have a 20 minute drive just to get over to it. We worked on it together for a couple of hours tonight before my wife came and picked him up. I guess the little guy couldn't stop talking about it all the way home. :)

I am going to work on getting pictures off the camera and show the two of us in action. But I needed to grab a quick picture of how we left it tonight with my cell phone. Not the best quality but it does give you an idea. Hoping to have this pretty much put together minus the motor for the show on Saturday.

post-919-0-13959100-1349052839.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I've always wanted one of those too.

Looks great so far Scott. :thumbs:

• Like 1

jay in nc

i'll bet it'l look just as good as the commando you took to pa. Jay

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks great Scott!!

• Like 1

Martin

It's coming along nicely, Scott.

I seem to be at a snails pace at the moment on Kent's 875. Shows just about every weekend of late, and the spare time is being taken up doing the engine, so it doesn't look like much progress is happening. That should change soon I hope, I'm really enjoying working with kent on this one, even if he doesn't show quite as much enthusiasm as I do......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looking very nice scott! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

whfan74

Thanks guys....may redo some small stuff when time permits but just wanting to get this thing all put together. Zach has been very patient and greeted me this morning with a hug and asked when we can work on it some more. Needless to say it put a huge smile on my face. I am thoroughly enjoying the work we are able to spend on this project together. I am amazed at how hard the little guy works. Hopefully I will have some more pics in the very near future.

bowtiebutler956

I look forward to seeing the little guy in action. :wwp: I really love these kinds of projects, their the best! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Ken B

That is looking very nice Scott!

whfan74

Zach and I turned some wrenches again this afternoon. It is very hit and miss for us to get a chance to work on his tractor. He is getting pretty happy about getting close with it. We are going to completely tear down the entire motor and do a refresh and take care of any needed issues. Have a H-60 to put under the hood.........hopefully after going through everything and taking care of it, then it will last.

Here is Zach on his tractor.............

post-919-0-91656000-1350259913.jpg

• Like 6

Jake Kuhn

Looking very nice scott! :bow-blue:

bowtiebutler956

Looks great Scott! :woohoo: I think you may need to build some sort of temporary footrest for him, as I think its going to be awhile before he'll fit into the factory ones. :ROTF: I'm not going to let Danny see this thread, because if he does he'll be wanting a bigger tractor, or worse yet, he'll want mine! :scared-eek: All joking aside Scott, that is a gorgeous 500 special! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Ken B

That looks fantastic Scott! I really like them square hood short frame tractors!

• Like 1

whfan74

Thanks guys! As you can tell by the smile on his face, he is one happy guy! He loves the racing flags of course and thinks he is going to have one fast tractor!

I can't express enough how much fun this project has been. Hoping to tear in to the motor and do a complete freshen up for it. Found out that I need to also buy a couple more parts and get this thing ready to roll.

nylyon

Green Crocs! Yikes, get him some Red Crocs stat! Or maybe put a coat of paint on them... B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

krazy_horse

Great looking tractor,good your Son is enjoying helping!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looks Good! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

whfan74

Finally able to snag the camera away from my parents. They were able to capture some of the work that Zach and I did during the tear down.

Here is what we started with when we rolled it in to that current spot.........

img_0403_0123.jpg

We quickly decided to get to work on it..........

img_0406_0028.jpg

img_0412_0093.jpg

img_0409_0115.jpg

I love this next one!

img_0420_0091.jpg

img_0427_0016.jpg

I don't want to put too many pictures on here, even though I now have a ton.........

Fast forward to tire removal. We needed to get the tires off the rims and this little guy is a brute. He actually broke down some of the tires on his own!!!!!!!!!!

img_0441_0043.jpg

img_0440_0051.jpg

A little bit later it was time to take a drive over to our sandblaster and powder coater for the items to be dropped off. He knew that since it was his tractor, he was going to have to help. He did a great job carrying stuff over to the pallet.

img_0445_0022.jpg

img_0447_0019.jpg

Well after waiting almost 2 months to get things back we quickly got to work one Sunday afternoon......

100_0807_0010.jpg

100_0810_0007.jpg

Well since the tires came off, it was finally to put them back on with tubes installed in them.

100_0804_0013.jpg

100_0806_0011.jpg

100_0805_0012.jpg

After the first afternoon we put quite a dent in to the process. We both were whipped from all the work. Here is what it looked like when we left for home.

100_0809_0008.jpg

Had to snap a picture of the fancy lug bolts that we picked up from a great Red Square member.......not going to say his name right now until I get the ok. I don't want him to get bombarded with PM's that he wasn't expecting. He does great work as you can see.............

100_0811_0006.jpg

You can look at previous posts for where we are at right now but felt bad that I couldn't have added these sooner. It has been a ton of fun working on this project. Sorry for the overload of photos.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

whfan74

Sorry about the turned photos........tried to change them and thought I saved them on Photobucket after rotation but something must have happened. At least it gives you an idea..........

Jake Kuhn

Looks very nice,and looks like both of you are having a great time! :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

Those pics are priceless! :text-datsphatyo: That looks like a hard working boy you have there. :thumbs:

whfan74

Those pics are priceless! :text-datsphatyo: That looks like a hard working boy you have there. :thumbs:

Matt,

I think most people would be suprised on how hard he actually does work. He seems to always want to help no matter what it might be that I am doing. It has been very enjoyable being able to do this project together. Hopefully we will get some more time to do some things on it today.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Fun Engineer

Looks like another great father son project Scott. Just a different father and son. What memories you both will share.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looking Great Scott! :notworthy: Cant beat the momories you are making too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

• Like 1

welderman85

Great looking farther and son project