312horse

14 horse kohler magnum

312horse

I picked up a nice 314-8 today which runs it is in under the flywheel or great for about 5 minutes , then it bogs down and trys to stall , but if you let it idle it idles fine untill you bring the throttle up the it bogs down , it almost acts like it has something to do with heat possibly the coil? i don,t see the coil so does that mean its in under the flywheel? or did they do something different ? i,m used to the older kohlers with the coil on the side of the engine . maybe someone else has had this problem and has an idea where to look. Dave

Rock farmer

Sounds like fuel deprivation.

Does choking it help?

Clean filters, gas and air.

check fuel flow, check fuel pump and clean carb.

And congrats on the new horse!

Joe

MarkPalmer

The "magnum" name refers to the newer non-points magneto ignition versions of the K series. As you suspected, the magneto coil is underneath the flywheel. What you describe can be a symptom of the coil going bad, but I too would suspect a fuel flow problem first as it runs fine at idle.

-Mark-

Kelly

Start with the carb, try moving the chock slowly closed as you throttle it up, see if that helps, pull the plug see if it is good and what color it is.

can whlvr

dont forget to check the vent in the gas cap too,

312horse

As it turns out the tractor is a 414-8 instead of 314-8 ,today i put new fuel line on it and fuel filter ,I had the high and low adjustment screws out and squirted carb cleaner in both of those , if i run it in low range and 3rd gear and engine wide open with the mower in gear it runs pretty good , but if i put it in 2nd gear high range it will bog down and almost stall in about 20 feet , so you stop and go to neutral and idle it down it will keep running but just barely .My son who is a mechanic on heavy equipment suggests it may have to do with valve clearance and after it warms up it loses its power .good grief i would think an engine with only 400 hours would do better than that .i,m going to run it some more in low range annd see what happens .Any ideas?

MarkPalmer

If its felt the problem is related to valve tappet adjustment, it is easy to check with removal of the breather cover using feeler gauges, and the valve tappets on the M14 have adjusters. .008-010 intake, .017-019 exhaust, piston at TDC on compression stroke.

-Mark-

tomtractor

My tractor WH C125 - would stall. It turned out to be a clogged fuel outlet in the gas tank. Just a thought

312horse

Well i think i got to the bottom of this , i took that little screen out of the tank and swabbed the dirt out of the tank , put fresh fuel in along with drygas and the little bugger runs great now . That little screen that is to me useless because it was all clogged and there just isn,t much you can do with it , but with an inline filter, which i have now you can change it once in awhile . Thanks for the help guys

Rock farmer

Great news!

Like you said, low hours how can the valves be bad?

I should have pointed you to that in the tank filter in my post.

Don't curse that thing! It did its job! If it hadn't you would have

Got that gunk into your carb. Over and over again and again!

Happy mowing!

Joe