Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Question about a K181S

squonk

Can anyone tell me if an 8 H.P. K181S engine has balance gears? I just got an 856 with a rebuilt motor. New piston, rod ,valves and guides. The crank & cam were reused. It was done by a reputable engine shop. There is a slight rap in the engine. It doesn't get louder under load. It goes up and down with engine speed. I can turn the crank back and fort by hand and imitate the noise. It only does it in one spot. I'm thing the balance gears may be the culprit (if they are even in there or a governor weight or compression release weight.

dadstractor1

i am shure it does not i had that problen std rod turned crank does not work well :eek: dadstractor

VinsRJ

No balance gears in K181, when you say it ony does it in one spot... where in the stroke? piston at the top of the bore or when it is at the bottom of the bore?

squonk

No balance gears in K181, when you say it ony does it in one spot... where in the stroke? piston at the top of the bore or when it is at the bottom of the bore?

I don't have anything apart to tell where the piston is. If I grab the crank pulley and rock it back and forth. I can make the noise when the pulley is in a certain spot. If It's say 90 deg from the spot it doesn't do it. The Rod and piston are new. The crank was mic'd. There is about 20 hours on the rebuild. The guy I got it from said the motor was done by a pro who mainly builds race motors. I know it's hard to explain, but the noise sounds like something "SMALL" moving back and forth. The sound doesn't get ant worse with speed or load. Just faster with the speed. I was plowing dirt with a snow blade tonight and really worked it and it never got any worse. I would think if it was say a piston pin or rod it would have made more noise loaded up.

buckrancher

I wonder if you have to much valve clearance on one valve

Brian

squonk

I wonder if you have to must valve clearance on one valve

Brian

I was sort of thinking the same thing when I first heard it. Next chance I get I'm going to get the stethescope out and start poking around.

MarkPalmer

The connecting rod bolts have a lock with metal ears that fold over to make sure the bolts stay in place. In the K181 this lock runs VERY close to the camshaft in normal operation. I'm guessing its not bent tight enough to the rod bolt, and is just slightly tapping the cam when the piston/rod come around.

-Mark-