Sign in to follow this  
krazy_horse

Removing shifter knobs

krazy_horse

Do you have a trick for doing this? I wanted to remove some knobs off of two different tractors,even with gloves I could not get enough leverage to remove. I didnt want to damage them. I know they have a brass insert and should not rust or seize. I shot PB Blaster then put a shop towel on and grabbed it with my water pump plyers and they came off pretty easy and only did minor damage. Is there a better way?

rmaynard

Use a leather strap wrench. If one is not available, wrap a leather belt around them and use a pipe wrench or large vise grip.

• Like 2

krazy_horse

Thanks Bob, I knew there had to be a better way.

CasualObserver

Same principle as Bob's, but I usually use an old piece of car innertube. My dad taught me long ago they make great multi-purpose rubber bands if you take it and cut it into various size rings. Of course.... kind of hard to find car innertubes these days I suppose. Rubber bands wrapped around or one of the wife's floppy jar opener thingys will give you something to grip also.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Bicycle inner tubes work well too. :thumbs:

• Like 2

varosd

I have 2 rubber strap wrenches from Sears that are great! the handle is plastic and they come on multiple sizes...works great on oil/tranny filters too!

• Like 1

Tankman

Years ago we replaced the knobs with tap handles from the local pub.

Makes you work faster if you're shifting for Miller High Life! :woohoo:

• Like 2

jabadamutt

Thanks for the info, mine was very tight and would not budge by hand, came here to look for some tips,will give the strap wrench a try.

Wheel-N-It

How about the handles on the old hydro levers that come up through the floor pan between your legs, also the plastic handles on PTO levers? What is a good way to remove these?

jabadamutt

Last night, I used an oil filter strap wrench I had in my tool box. I was able to get a good bite on it and exert enough force to get it to turn. If I had a piece of inner tube to go in the middle, it would have probably bit easier. Either way, it worked and I got the thing to turn without causing any damage. Was very tight... I would recommend this method for any of these knobs.

groundhog47

Use a leather strap wrench. If one is not available, wrap a leather belt around them and use a pipe wrench or large vise grip.

Im second this approach Jim, I do a lot of removals from other hardware, just use a thick enough leather (>1/8").

Bicycle inner tubes work well too. :thumbs:

NOW THAT'S A GOOD IDEA