Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Need a licensed electrician in Putnam cty NY

nylyon

Ok, so here's the deal. I put in a swimming pool last year and finally got around to getting my inspection. The town asked me for my electrician's paperwork, that's when I sad B) ? I told them that I did it myself, and you would have thought I just killed the mayor. So now I need a licensed electrician to check and certify my work. Which of course I think it just fine :whistle:

The locking 20A receptacle with weather proof cover is located 6' from the pool. #12 THHN wire is run in 1/2" PVC conduit glued and burried 22" deep, to the house. The conduit and THHN enters the house through the cinderblock (sealed cement on the outside) to a junction box in the house. The wire is then switched to #12 UF and run to the main panel and hooked to it's own 20A GFI Breaker.

The pool is 33x18 above ground and it's bonded with #8 bare copper wire at 6 locations around half of the pool length wise, and the filter using coper clamps and stainless screws. There are no other metal parts to put into the bonding grid, the ladder is plastic, no deck, no slide.

I'm not an electrician, and maybe I missed something, but I would think that the town's inspector would be able to sign off, or tell me what is deficient. Anyway, does anyone know an electrician in Putnam county NY who can help me get the approvals I need?

edit: Additional information... I am well aware of the dangers of electricity and have had several family members as electricians. I also read and understand NEC 680.

Sparky

Well here in Connecticut you must have a timer on the circuit to the pump and the timer must be next to the panel and not out at the pump. Also we require a standard GFI receptacle within 30 feet ( I might have the footage wrong here) of the pool to discourage people from converting the pump twist-lock plug to a standard plug. You must also have a switch out at the pump location so that it can be turned on and off for service without grabbing the cord.

But of course thats in Ct.

Mike............

HorseFixer

You missed something you should use NOLOX on all yer wire connections! B) small detail, had to pick at something Karl! B) No it sounds good and it should fly here in michigan and our code lets us do anything in our own homes. Naturally it is suppose to be inspected and a permit should be pulled first but I haven't heard of anyone getting nicked on a swimming pool! I am an HVAC contractor now for 24 years and have done all my own wireing In homes to my equipment I have installed. Only pulled permits on the ones I had inspected which werent many! :whistle: The reason? They use the permits to jack up my customers taxes.

Sounds to me like you did a fine job! Maybe and outside disconect switch would be nice and maybe an outlet like mike said within so many feet but I would say yer close, if not perfect! Nope dont know of any SPARKYS There! Sorry Mike B)

Duke

linen beige

Ky. allows for homeowner's permits on the owner's primary residence. The work has to pass state inspections at rough in and final. I did that on my home when i added the six rooms and generator panel. Anything done on rental property or other owner's property has to be done under a licensed, master electrician and pass the same inspections.

Here some master electricians will pull the permits and arrange inspections under their license, for nominal fees, but let you do the work as if he had done it. These electricians will check your plans and work to make sure it will pass the inspections and at $100 a pop for inspections it's not a bad idea to have a pro do one first for less money. That way if there is something wrong, you don't have to pay for one, or more, failed inspections.

Kinda sounds like your town wants you to do basically the same thing.

I don't know how Ny.'s codes are written, but I would have put a disconnect at the outside location if for nothing more than convenience. Ky. does require them on any motors outdoors and I'm thinking that's a NEC requirement. And even though the #12 wire is rated for 20 amps, it is the minimum allowable size for that load. If the run is say 100 feet or more, I would have used #10 to avoid any voltage drop that could shorten motor life. Ky. also requires it to be at least 24 inches deep.