Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

1969 JD140 H3

Wheel-N-It

While trying to iron out some computor problems during the past month (which kept me off RS for a while), I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, and purchased a 1969 JD140 H3. It has two sets of hydro quick connects up front, a hydro lift for a mowing deck, and the Sunstrand hydro tranny has a built in PTO shaft for turning a rear mounted tiller. The JD had been sitting on the wooden floor of a wood building for ten years. The paint is in very good condition. The seat has one crack in the left inside corner. The only things missing are the steering wheel center cap, the height adjustment knob, and the cigarette lighter. I spent a few evenings gettting it going. The gas tank was a little rusty inside, and after soaking it in derusting chemical I discovered there were two pinholes in the tank. JB Weld epoxy puddy took care of this problem. Other things I did before starting the engine were replacing the fuel valve, fuel hose, fuel filter. Then cleaned out the carb reallyreally good, changed the oil, and put in a new plug. With fresh gas and a little choke she K321 started right up. I have been driving it around some, and am quite happy with it. I changed the oil again after running it for an hour, and the Kohler is running good for a 1968 K321 now with LE 30w motor oil.

With the help of JayinNC we checked the numbers and discovered it was the 35th JD140 that rolled off the assembly line for the 1969 model year. Being it has such a low serial number, the engine has a 1968 manufacturing code. BTW, the 1968 JD140's were equipped with a K301 12hp Kohler. For 1969, John Deere upgraded the powerplants to K321 14hp engines.

I do not have any attachments with it as the PO only used it to move his boat around in the yard. He had no idea what the three hydro levers were for. Right now I have no plans to make it a working tractor, but will probably get some kind of implement for it just for looks if nothing else.

One thing I would like to know is how many of the first 34 JD140's (with the 14hp engine) are still in runnng/driving condition??? This I may never know...............

Van

Jake Kuhn

sounds like a very nice tractor! :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: I have a 73 H-1 and I love it, never had one issue with it since I got it. ~Jake

perry

That is one JD model that i would own. few years back went and picked one up for my buddys family friend. he had given us alot of tractors in the past and we were not sure what was the deal with this one were about to pick up. when we got there the tractor was sitting in driveway and was mint. had hydraulic front snow blade and two 3pt seeder attachments with it. was used all it's life in a nursery business. unfortunately for us he was not given this one up. but have liked them ever since. I liked how high the front blade raised , just like my simplicity's if not higher. .

Wheel-N-It

Thank you Jake. PM me your number and I'll text you a few pics.

Perry, I agree with you regarding the 140. As I got a little deeper in the LAGT hobby, I decided if I was to get a green one, I would get a 140 as they look like a small version of the JD4020 which I am a big fan of. Well it didn't take long for this one to come around after I had recovered from dumping more money than I wanted to in a IH Cub Cadet 1650, so I had to go for it. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this 140 :)

Van

T-Mo

To find out anything JD related, go to www.weekendfreedommachines.com. They have a registry there that you can register your tractor and get more info. The 140H3 is a very capable machine.

Wheel-N-It

Thank you T-Mo. Will do :)

fireman

The 140H3 is on my bucket list for tractors!

Wheel-N-It

Thankyou. It was on my Bucket List too. It almost fell in my lap. Now that I can post pics, I will be taking some this week and showing you what it looks like. Keep checking back for some pics!