wpetersonbingo

Double pulley for bagger on 48" mower deck-1993

wpetersonbingo

Situation: I want to put a bagger attachment on my tractor. I don't have the correct double pulley to drive the bagger impeller.

Question: What is the correct double pulley which goes on the right side spindle of the mower deck to drive the bagger impeller?

1993 Wheel Horse model 73400 Serial #3901213

Mower deck model 78360 48" side discharge Serial #2312 (partial) is on foil tag by Ser# tag, mostly unreadable

Bagger model #79301 Serial #79-6890

Mower deck came with tractor so I assume the mower deck is also 1993. Bagger is from a different source, came off a 42" deck, possibly a 1996. The double pulley for that 42" deck is different than the one I need for my 48" deck.

I bought part #79-7130 double pulley. Two problems: 1) this pulley has a 5/8" center hole, and my spindle is 3/4", and, 2) there is no keyway in the pulley. Is this the wrong part, or did my spindle get replaced with the wrong size spindle?

Is there a correct part with the 3/4" hole and keyway?

If I buy a new spindle, will it be 5/8"? Looks like part #112674 for that. I could use a new spindle, as the keyway on the spindle is badly worn.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Winston

Minneapolis area

Don1977

That pulley is for the later model metric spindle. You would have to change everything in side of the spindle housing bearings, spindle,sleeve, nut, lock washer, and couple of spacers. It would be cheaper to find a used Metric spindle the bearing are no. 6203 same as Chevy alternator bearings used on 70's cars. They can be found at any auto parts store. Not sure how that will hook up to a 48" deck you might have to modify hanger for the bag. Post in the Classifieds that you need a metric spindle some one here should have one to sale.

wpetersonbingo

Thank you for your reply. I will see what the machine can do.

ehylen0916

I have a similar issue as that noted above - except my deck is a 42" side discharge.  I ordered the double pulley part # 79-7310 and found the same issue - 5/8" bore and I have a 3/4" spindle.  Cost for a new spindle assembly is over $200.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem - maybe an aftermarket part?

gwest_ca

The spindles that have a keyway for the pulley used a Nylock nut. If the pulley will spin freely on the shaft without the key you can eliminate the key and use a standard lock washer and regular nut to secure the pulley. The natural direction of rotation keeps the nut tight. This is the design they went to and the reason you have a shaft with no keyway - it was eliminated.

Garry

ehylen0916

Garry:

Thank you for the update, the revised design makes sense.  I'm still wondering how I can solve my problem - the new design (double) pulley I need has an ID of 5/8" whereas the shaft I need it to fit on has a 3/4" diameter.  I've looked for a 3/4" double pulley and called Toro - they have no compatible pulley for me to use.  Any ideas are appreciated.

gwest_ca

Is there enough meat in the hub to have the bore increased to 3/4" at a machine shop?

If you do this you should take the spindle with the pulley so they can get a good slip fit.

This is one application that can use Never-seize to eliminate future frustrations.

Garry

• Like 1