Torino

What tractor is this?

Torino

What model is this?

post-171-0-09929600-1348145465.jpg

ol550

Looks to be a C175?

whfan74

I agree with Mike.......slap some decals on there and it will do it wonders!

SousaKerry

Not only is it a C-175 it features a Series II KT-17, Much better engine then the original. I have the same engine in mine and it is a beast. Very capable machine.

If indeed it started out life as a C-175 it would have had the series I KT-17 motor, which was a problem child to say the least from Kohler most wound up throwing rods due to a poor lubrication system.

Check under the dash for an aluminum tag with the model and serial numbers, if there we can tell you what it started out as.

The picture in my profile is my machine before the engine upgrade. The center of the hood (depressed section) should be black hence the name for the series "Black Hood"

JackC

Maybe 1980 or 1981 C-175 Black Hood based on the hydro lift lever and the level indicator on the side cover above the foot rest.

Has the newer Kohler Series II engine unless someone just put the Series II fly wheel cover on the original Series I.

The plastic fender appears to be in good shape. Many replace it with the metal fender.

Those are great machines. I have 4 of them.

This is one of them:

Jake Kuhn

yep, looks like a c175. Looks to be a very nice tractor! ~Jake

Zeek

I do NOT like like half-a$$ spray bombers . . . . :hand:

Sorry :text-offtopic: personal pet peeeeeeve . . .

AMC RULES

I surely wouldn't kick one of those "bombers" out of the barn. :thumbs:

boovuc

I love my C-175. Even with the Series I engine. The most perfect powered tractor I own and yes, I have a 416-8 and a 520-H. I've owned mine for decades now. I really think the C-175 was one of the 5 best tractors Wheelhorse ever made. I would say the C-160 is right up there with a few other larger single kohlers. I would love to have a Series II KT Kohler in a box as a replacement in case mine bites the dust some day. I know some folks never liked the style of the Blackhoods but they grow on you after awhile.

bowtiebutler956

Looks like it still has a very nice body on it! :thumbs: Even the rear fender looks to be in great shape. :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Torino

Finally got it. Started out wanting 650 with a turning plow and a rear after market blade. I already have those. Listed today for 350 without plow and rear blade. Went buy he and had a hard time starting it. I think he flooded it. Got it to run. Runs great with no smoke but you have to give it a little choke to run smooth. So, I hoped it was not anything major and gave him 300. He said it has been sitting alot and it did run great. I have dealt with him before and believe he is honest. Did get the clevis hitch, extra mule drive and pretty sad looking 30 something inch deck also. The rear deck is in great shape. I downloaded all the manual I could from Toro, is there a place I can download a owners manual?

It is a 1980 C-175.

546cowboy

Here is a C-175 I have. It has the steel seat pan and the tires are too big but I have a set of smaller ags that I haven't got around to changing yet.

post-1334-0-63406800-1350059596_thumb.jp

JackC

Great deal. You can't buy a good used KT17 II engine for that.

The C-175 is one of my favorite models. I have 4 of them

My 1983 has only 278.7 hours on it.

Torino

I forgot to finish this thread.  I took the carb off and cleaned it and it runs great now.

post-171-0-09565000-1362220120.jpg

post-171-0-00001600-1362220134.jpg

post-171-0-72870700-1362220155.jpg

• Like 1

boovuc

NICE! Very nice restore!

leeave96

I'd say you got a pretty good deal.  One thing you should do if you ever rid yourself of the tractor is keep the sleeve hitch as they are a pricy item these days.

stevebo

I see the sticker on the engine says series II but has that been confirmed? Looks like the tins are a series I.

Torino

According to the spec and sn it is a series 2.  But they are both stickers so I guess it would be easy to fake.  How would I go about making sure it is a series 2?

boovuc

They made the Series II's with the old engine cowling for years. I don't doubt you have a Series II engine. The Series II has a full pressure lubrication system. (No oil filter). If you look under the PTO you may be able to see on the bottom of the engine a little square housing that holds the oil pump. Just to the side of the engine on the PTO side, you may be able to see a small 1/16" NPTF plug that can be used to read oil pressure. (Up to 50 lbs I believe).

It may not be very visible and there are very few differences between the Series I and II without tearing of the tins and engine.

JackC

The Series II  has a port cover for an oil filter and nearby is a port for an oil pressure gauge on the rear half of the crankcase on the PTO side of the engine.

For the wheel horse application there is probably not enough room for an oil filter directly on the engine but a remote filter can be used.

The Series I does not have that.  The Series II was developed by Kohler to overcome the oiling problems with the Series I when it was run on inclines.  

The Series I oiling is OK as long as not run on inclines.

SousaKerry

My series II has the oil filter on the block fits fine no problems. And my oil pressure gauge will peg out at 80psi even when cranking. Once warmed up usually runs around 60

JackC

My series II has the oil filter on the block fits fine no problems. And my oil pressure gauge will peg out at 80psi even when cranking. Once warmed up usually runs around 60

Good to hear.  Love the C-175s. 

How about some pictures of your setup for us wanting to add the oil filter and gauge to our C-175 Series IIs.

I want to upgrade one of my C-175s to include the oil filter, oil pressure gauge, hour meter, tach, cylinder head or crankcase oil temperature gauge, and fuel tank and gauge from a 520H.

Wheel-N-It

Yeah, same here. If possible I would love to install an oil filter and pressure guage on the 417-A.

Any pics and tips will be greatly appreciated. :bow-blue:

Torino

I will have to check and make sure it's a series II when I get back to the garage.  Sitting inside with a bad cold now.

Someone did a fairly good job of painting the tractor they just painted it the wrong color. It is more of a Burgundy  Of course you have to love the matching seat.  Seats are so expensive so it will have to stay on for now.

Dittos on the pics for the oil filter and gauge.

Wheel-N-It

I will have to check and make sure it's a series II when I get back to the garage.  Sitting inside with a bad cold now.

Dittos on the pics for the oil filter and gauge.

Torino, get you some Rock and Rye for that bad cold. Put it in the freezer and drink shots as necessary. I tried it this Winter and it worked wonders. I'm not saying its a miracle cure but I usually get a bad cold or flue that knocks me down for a week or more every Winter. This Winter I caught a cold, and was out of work only two days because of it. Thats the only work time I missed due to being sick this Winter. A couple of guys who work at the local ABC store told me some people are asking for it, saying their Doctors told them to start drinking it.