Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

702 and 7X3 differences

haeffnkr

Hello

I have what I believe is a 7X2, it has a solid aluminum gas tank and a different front axle with serial number of 14XX (dont remember the exact number. The tractor came with no motor.

Is this 702?

Are there any differences in the transmissions between 702/7x3? If so, what?

What kind of seats did these tractors come with originally? old pressed steel ones?

I have a 753 it has a 2 part gas tank that leaks, how do I fix it?

The gas tank has some hollow holes/nut thingys that the hood should line up with and a thumb screw thing should hold the hood to the tank.

The nut thingy is busted out, on both sides of the tank, how do I fix this?

Is there supposed to be a bushing or something in the tank hole to keep the steering shaft from wobbling around?

What fluid is supposed to be in these transmissions?

That is enough questions for now...thanks for all the help!

Kevin

TT

Can you post any pictures? That would be the best way to identify your tractor.

Transmissions are basically the same and use 90wt gear oil.

Seats should be rectangular metal pans. (with padded covers)

The 2 piece aluminum gas tank has a gasket, but be careful you don't twist the screws off when trying to remove the bottom. (it WILL happen easily)

You can also seal the tank with a coating such as Kreem or one from KBS coatings.

A reputable welding shop can TIG weld pieces of aluminum in the broken areas and the threaded inserts can be reinstalled to fasten the hood. I have also seen barrel nuts JB Welded in this area. B)

There should be a shouldered nylon bushing in the steering shaft hole of the gas tank. It installs up through from the bottom and the locking collar on the shaft holds it in place.

oldandred

Hello

I have what I believe is a 7X2, it has a solid aluminum gas tank and a different front axle with serial number of 14XX (dont remember the exact number. The tractor came with no motor.

Is this 702?

Are there any differences in the transmissions between 702/7x3? If so, what?

What kind of seats did these tractors come with originally? old pressed steel ones?

I have a 753 it has a 2 part gas tank that leaks, how do I fix it?

The gas tank has some hollow holes/nut thingys that the hood should line up with and a thumb screw thing should hold the hood to the tank.

The nut thingy is busted out, on both sides of the tank, how do I fix this?

Is there supposed to be a bushing or something in the tank hole to keep the steering shaft from wobbling around?

What fluid is supposed to be in these transmissions?

That is enough questions for now...thanks for all the help!

Kevin

welcome Nyea i was i a hurry Newbe the serial numbers dont mean much on the tractors exp, when it comes to the 754.s and a couple of others

those tanks the two piece one i have taken the to a machine shop and had the holes drilled out and retaped the easyest way is to do what TT said put a sealer in it.

any thing else just ask away B)

haeffnkr

Terry,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will try to get some pictures up later tonight.

Where is a good online source for WH parts? Especially this tank gasket. I thought this was a discontinued part, IIRC?

So the tank orginally had an aluminum threaded insert all cast as one part - to make the tank/hood attachment?

What was the thread, 1/4 x 20 or something?

thanks Kevin

TT

I'm thinking it's actually a square nut that slips up in before you install the bottom of the tank.

BPjunk

Kevin,

The 7x2 is a 702 from the information you gave as only the 701 and 702 used a solid one peice aluminum tank. The 702 did come with the two peice aluminum tank too but this was later in the production (the early production had other differences too). The 701 and 702(502 &552 , plus 603) used the 4220 front axle.

Any three speed for a horizontal shaft engine Wheel Horse made from 1961 to 1969 except the 1-1/8 inch axle version.

The seats were a metal square pan version, these rusted in the center and got weak so offten they got replaced with some thing else.

On the 753's gas tank you can use a speed nut and JB weld to hold it in place. As for sealing the tank I would try a automotive gas tank sealer before taking the tank apart to install a new gasket (depending on condidition).

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

haeffnkr

Here are some pics, some are better than others,

my pics

In case the link does not work... http://share.ovi.com/media/haeffnkr.mymedia/haeffnkr.10037

You can click on the pics and get differnet sizes.

I will have to try and find some sealer? I guess this stuff is poured in the tank?

Can I take the tank from the 702 and put in on the 753? will it bolt up?

Looks like I got some non-WH seats then, if they are to be square-ish, as these are regular old tyme seats.

So it seems that If I was to build a tractor off of one of these, it just comes down to what one is in best shape as the trans are the same, except the for looks of the front axle, and assuming I can get the tank to quit leaking.

thanks for the help

Kevin

TT

I can't access your photos without a name & password, Kevin.

You'll have to try another approach. (I'm not familiar with that site)

Tanks will interchange, as will quite a few other parts.

Fix us up with the pictures and we'll go from there. B)

TT

Sure looks like a 702 to me. Even without the engine being there, I can see the tab on the front of the drive belt guard is Kohler style. The 502/552 belt guard front mount is totally different.

Personally, I would save both tractors. B)

HorseFixer

Just like TT said, Looks like a 702 cuz I just went out and looked mine over!

Duke