Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

A couple engine questions?

BairleaFarm

1. Are parts like the crank, cam, carbs, oil pan and other parts interchangeable between the small blocks?

2. Do you need a governor or can you keep the rpms down with the throttle?

3. Do the same engine have the same size crank shafts? ie: all 8hp kohlers have the 1" shaft.

4. My 10hp kohler is spitting gas out the air filter. Is that an adjustment thing or time for a rebuild?

WheelHorse_of_course

2. Do you need a governor or can you keep the rpms down with the throttle?

3. Do the same engine have the same size crank shafts? ie: all 8hp kohlers have the 1" shaft.

4. My 10hp kohler is spitting gas out the air filter. Is that an adjustment thing or time for a rebuild?

2) Yes, you need a governor. While you may be able to keep yourself within safe operating RPM with the throttle, the governor plays a more important role than most understand. Consider the following:

Engine is running. You engage the the PTO. The governor kicks the throttle and then settle at a new (more open) throttle position.

You start mowing. The load from driving the wheels and the blades hitting the grass causes the governor to kick the throttle and then settle to a new (more open) throttle position.

You continue to mow and every so often you hit that nice thick patch of grass. Each time the governor reacts and kicks the throttle to compensate.

So, to recap. IN addition to limiting the Maximum RPM to a safe level, the governor automatically compensates for changing load. B)B)B)

3 I suspect there may variation depending on the engine "spec number". Others will know more, but I suspect all WH spec engines at a given HP might be the same, but this is a guess. :whistle:

4 Tell us more. Does it do this all the time? Does it otherwise run ok? Does it backfire when this happens?

TT

Some parts will interchange between the K series 6/7/8 hp engines, but a lot of them will not. There are different strokes on crankshafts, cams have to match the stroke of the crank, and carbs have different venturi sizes. Some parts from the M8 Magnums will also interchange.

The gas spitting problem is indicative of an intake valve that is not seating. It allows cylinder pressure (compression) to escape the combustion chamber through the intake port and out through the carb, carrying the raw fuel from the carburetor along with it.

Try adjusting the valves - or at least check for clearance. If there's sufficient clearance, you might need to grind or lap the valves so they seat properly.

htopjimmy26

I have had 2 kohler big blocks that have both done the gas out the air cleaner because some little piece of junk was caught in the inlet seat in the carb causing it to not close. I ended up changing the fuel lines on both to solve the problem. Good luck :hide:

htopjimmy26

Ooops, I also had to disassemble the carbs and clean the seats. :hide: