Sign in to follow this  
dells68

Plastic encased weights?

dells68

Hey guys, I was at a local flea market Sat. and saw a set of the 12" plastic encased weights. I'm guessing they're cement filled. The plastic was a little scuffed where they had been rubbed on stuff. The guy asked $40 is that about right or too much? We've got a 60 suburban that my son wants to try a snowblower with this winter and we're going to need the extra weight in the rear. Same guy also had a C series plastic pedal tractor with wheel horse clearly on the side. My son fell in love with it. Are they really worth anything like the metal versions or are they just not worth much? Didn't even get a price from the guy. Thanks!!!

Dell

Sparky

I think $40 is fair for the plastic rear weights. I'm sure someone will chime in about the great deal they got for less than $40, but your seller was offering them at a fair price in my opinion.

Mike.............

Kelly

I sell lots of weights plastic and cast iron ones, plastic in good usable shape with only minor scratches I get $100-125 less the more beat up they are, but even my ruff ones I get at least $40 for them, the cast iron ones depends on the weights from $100 to $300 a set.

The plastic pedal tractors will never have the value of the metal ones but to a WH collecter they are worth something, price depends on cond. but I think in great shape $200 would be top money, average shape will bring about $75-100, at least around me.

over60pirate

If you don't need factory made weights here's an idea.

I cut a 1/2" x 2" steel bar to fit inside the wheel. Drilled 2, 3/8" holes to bolt it in.

Welded a barbell bar to the center of it, and piled on the weights. From the inside out, I have: 5#, 10#, 15#, and 50# plus the weight of the bar. 85-90#'s total. The 15# weight is a plastic coated one, that just fits in the wheel and helps support the 1" bar. I cut the bar off so it didn't stick out too far.

I just knew barbell weights had a practical use!

post-6550-0-62134900-1348279490.jpg

varosd

plastic wgts tend to stick out a bit from the rim and can split if one tends to scrape the sides of trees, buildings...oops! also adding tire chains on to the rim works but if you want to add say a bungee cord to tighten the chains up. the wgts get in the way. I'm using 85 pound or so "yellow" ( :hide: ) plastic wheel wgts with some splits in the plastic, I took minimal expansion foam and it sealed in the weight.

one plus of using the plastic wgts is no metal on metal rust,paint rubbing etc

dells68

I've not had a chance to get back to the guy I was talking to. My Dodge Ram gave up the ghost Sunday evening after I looked at the weights Sat. morning. I hope he still has them. I've got to wait till I get paid now. Darn truck wouldn't run hardly at all - almost like it was running on 3 or 4 cylinders. Turned out it was a broken exhaust spring on the #7 cylinder. It threw off the electronics bad! I'm glad my son's wheel horse runs so well. It's got a k91 kohler and it started on the first pull everytime this afternoon! Almost makes the truck crap bareable . . . ALMOST! The guy also has a couple of small discs for sale too. They're an older 3 point style, but I think I could rework them to work with the lift on his Suburban. Wouldn't be the real deal, but would match his Wheel Horse plow great!