Sign in to follow this  
welderman85

primer help

welderman85

hello, my gt1142 should be comming home frome the blaster soo so i want to be ready to paint asap. I was able to find the valspar colors i needed on clearance at TSC. i was going to use selfetch primer from napa. i used it before and it worked great. i went to get a quart today and was not expecting it to cost that much with the thinner. what type of primer do you guys use. the parts have been sand blasted and the tractor will be a nice worker. i want it to hold up well but i cant spend an arm and a leg with the baby on the way. thanks

Kelly

I use auto primer, last stuff i picked up was a epoxy and was $30 a quart + activator but I had that at home I think it was about $20 for that last time I bought it, just remember you get what you pay for and in the end it might be worth the few extra $$ for better stuff, I tried the new cheap primer at TSC and it is a joke.

rmaynard

I too use automotive type epoxy primer. It costs a little more, but it is worth it. Epoxy will stick to anything, and it is especially good on just just blasted steel. Don't let the fresh metal wait too long before getting a coat on it or it will rust just from the humidity in the air.