Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

854 HOOD QUESTION

HorseFixer

B) A guy gave me a hood today, I measured the hood and it was 16 1/8 from the gas tank to the front seam. I thought It may be for an 854 but It has the indentations for the wheel horse logo up twords the front. What hood is this for?

Pictured is my 854 for comparison. P.S. I dont wanna here in cRaCkS about the hippie steering wheel somebody cobbled on the 854!! :whistle: Yep thats a damn pulley underneath the steering wheel they used to mount it! 'American Injinuity At Its Best"

Thanks Duke

P7110257.jpg

P7110258.jpg

Rollerman

Duke went out & measured the hood on my 854 & it's right around 16" from tank to seam.

The other round hoods other than the 754 are about 15 & an 1/8"

Not an easy hood to find in good condition Duke.

Oh & I got ya covered for a wheel as soon as I get up there. B)

DMESS

Duke, the 854 hood SHOULD have the indentations for the decals. B)

BPjunk

Duke,

The hood you got is a replacment hood for a 854. OOOPPPPSSS I needed to look at the first picture a little harder as it looked like the top hood

pictured was the second hood. It is correct for a model 854. :whistle:

Uh .... oh yeah I had one of those "hippy" steering wheels on my '62 Chevy .... it was cool back then. B)

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

bambooheels

i think the indents are typical on 854's i have 3 and all three have the indents.

nice steering wheel B)

WheelHorse_of_course

B) Hey folks,

My 854 also has the indents and decals in the indents.

To go somewhat B) I'd like to compare a few other 854 issues.

Mine has a (most likely not original) toggle switch for the ignition and a big cylindrical starter switch (looks to be original). But my manual shows a combination ignition/starter key-type switch. What do the rest of you have?

Mine has a go Kart steeering wheel too! B)

:whistle:

Rolf

TT

The full-length hoods are the ones that didn't have the indented square for the decal. (Like the later Lawn Rangers, 604, 654, 704, & maybe 603's)

If the indents are missing on the cut-out hoods, they are either a full-length hood that was cut out to fit the aluminum gas tank models, or they have been "mudded" over. (look on the back side)

I'm not too sure about the "service" hoods though. Sometimes you'll even see a replacement hood with grille openings for a mid-engined tractor. B)

And Rolf......

Your 854 should have a 3 terminal key-type ignition/starter switch only.

HorseFixer

Thanks everyone! B) So sounds like I need to change the hood! :whistle: Well thats good to know. Today I was out in my stable and my 702 has thos indetions on the hood also but I didn't measure the length.

Duke

WheelHorse_of_course

And Rolf......

Your 854 should have a 3 terminal key-type ignition/starter switch only.

So, anyone have one of these they'd be willing to part with? B)

64s

Hey Guys, I was going thru some stuff and came across a nos 854 hood. I noticed it didn't have the indents for the horse logo up front and then found this posting.

What exactly is a service hood? Is it a second generation replacement hood and if so why re-tool, or was there a step skipped and thus a cost savings? This hood is definately original or someone truely has some metal skills - there is no indication of someone playing around with this. Thanks!!

B)

BPjunk

What exactly is a service hood? Is it a second generation replacement hood and if so why re-tool, or was there a step skipped and thus a cost savings?

B)

Your exactly right! Wheel Horse had dies for the hoods but most likely used the die in the best shape for the replacment hood. If you look at a replacment hood for the Suburban series you will notice the front has the grill slots instead of the closed front that the Suburban came from the factory with.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

64s

Bill, If I were to use this hood in a restoration -

A - Would it be proper? Or Use the original? NOS hood is 99% perfect, present hood needs resto - welding, etc

B- Would it be correct to apply the decals?

Thanks, George

B)