Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

WH Powering Log Splitter

tomtractor

Has anyone used their C series tractor PTO to power a log spitter? Use a belt off the PTO? Any thoughts or photos of examples?

JamesBe1

I haven't, but it sure sounds like a great idea.

Given the price of log splitters nowadays, I would be interested in using one of my herd for that purpose.

squonk

They use the PTO to run a Genny so I don't see why not. Although not a splitter, I ran another transmission to test it off of my C PTO.

Coadster32

As a log-splitter alternative, I use something called the stickler. Goole up "stickler" and check it out. I've split prob. 12 chord with it thus far, and think it's like sliced bread. No maint. I have it hooked up to a ford ranger. The second pic below is a short video when I first got it. I've since tweeked a few things since then.

DSCF4202.jpg

th_DSCF4195.jpg

tomtractor

Has anyone used one with a WH. Photos. That thing is great. I feel inspired.

MalMac

Wheel Horse used to offer that same attachment. I have a pic of it somewhere in one of my dealer manuals. think it's right around the 78, 79 era. Hooked right up the the rear wheels.

CasualObserver

The spike one that Wheel Horse had was the Unicorn. Allied attachment available for many brands.

As for WH powered splitter?.... this one was on ebay a few years ago.

BVTokQ2kKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVksBKR5LNKwM.jpg

BVTppqQB2kKGrHgoOKjsEjlLmUU31BKR5Ob.jpg

Don1977

I have seen one posted somewhere. It was a regular trailer type splitter with long hoses and the pump mounted up front of the PTO.

jusjeepn
20101101164849.jpg
  • Like 1

jusjeepn

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

unicornsplitter.jpg

tomtractor

If anyone has one that works with a c-series tractor- please let me purchase it! Let me know.

darren

I was half tempted by one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-LOG-SPLITTER-ELECTRIC-MOTOR-SET-HOLZSPALTER-SCREW-TYPE-AXE-TIP-SPACCALEGNA-/280942171401?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item4169755509 to cobble together something. With a suitable frame, it looks to be well-suited to a WH application.

tomtractor

Why doesn't everyone have one. Doesn't it seem like a no-brainer. Hook it up to the back wheel and split away. Maybe I am the only one who has been in the dark.

jdog_kustoms

I own the black one in the pics it mounts to any attach a magic tractor I am not selling it thoe but I regret not buying the one from a guy at the show last year it went on the rear wheel

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

JamesBe1

I like the stickler idea. I might look into getting one sometime soon.

But I don't think it would be beyond reason to run a log splitter cylinder from a hydro system. All one would need to do is reroute the lines from the hydro lift cylinder to the log splitter. It's a bit beyond my fabrication skills (at the moment), but not beyond my imagination. Also, one could use the pressure from a FEL pump to run a log splitter too. Just my 2C worth.

Coadster32

Why doesn't everyone have one. Doesn't it seem like a no-brainer. Hook it up to the back wheel and split away. Maybe I am the only one who has been in the dark.

All I can say from using my 180hp truck to do the same thing is, you'll need the extra hp for some of the bigger logs. I'm sure the ones for the tractors are slowed down for more torque, but....

jusjeepn

The Eaton & Sunstrand hydro's are not capable of operating a hydraulic cylinder large enough to make an effective log splitter. Nor are they capable of operating a FEL. The Factory resevoir's are not large enough to accomodate the required amount of fluid to operate a cylinder(s) that large. The pressures required to operate these cylinders would also blow the ends right out of the puny lift cylinders used on W/H hydro machines, let alone the transmissions themselves.

• Like 1

tomtractor

Has anyone ever used the stickler on the back wheel of their wheel horse?

jusjeepn

Here's another! This one was built by a member here several years ago! I haven't seen him on here in a while. Maybe he'll see this and jump in!

WorkinHorse002.jpg

mikemc53

I'm not sure if it's the same one that jusjeepn posted but I too remember a few years back someone on this forum posting a pic of their splitter, hooked up to the pto. I thought there may have been a video too, but can't say for sure.