Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

Rehabbed A Square Deck

AMC RULES

Some of you may have seen my post "definitely not a looker" where I documented my recent acquisition of a well worn model 702 tractor, and a few various attachments.

This package deal included a square deck mower that had more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese, but surprisingly, still cut like a dream. When I flipped it over, I was elated to discover it's cast spindle housing looking virtually brand new. Especially since my nice looking 653's deck has always had a cracked in two spindle housing, as I got it from the PO. I spent a good portion of last Saturday combining the best of both of these decks into one unit...and I can tell you, what a PITA that turned out to be. Just breaking free all the rusted hardware, and cleaning up 50 years worth of compacted grease from both decks made this an arduous task to be sure. Well worth the effort though, once I mounted up the completed deck on my 653, engaged the mower, and witnessed the grass actually exiting the rear of the deck as it was always meant to be. :text-woo:

All in all, I'd say a pretty good deal that ol' tractor package turned out to be...considering I'm seeing that cast spindle housing alone typically being offered for the same price that I paid for the tractor and all it's attachments combined. :thumbs:

post-3498-0-60470600-1345425539_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-93532400-1345425889_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-63206300-1345426014_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-06547000-1345426087_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-57825000-1345426326_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-33160400-1345426386_thumb.jp

• Like 1

squonk

How many buckets of rags did you go through? :ychain: Aren't gear drives fun? I still need to find a quiet one. I find the solid but noisey types.

AMC RULES

I now realize why it was so hard to document the entire process with pictures.

The picts you see here represent the few times I could actually hold a camera, and my hands weren't covered in grease. :)

SousaKerry

I rebuilt one recently for my 655 combining parts from two decks and put in all new bearings.... but alas it is so dang noisy I can't stand to use it, anybody got any tips for making them quiet down a bit.

KC9KAS

I now realize why it was so hard to document the entire process with pictures.

The picts you see here represent the few times I could actually hold a camera, and my hands weren't covered in grease. :)

I just never aquired the ability to work with gloves...can't feel things with gloves....I have a hard enough time working on things and hanging onto tools.....gloves just compound the problem.

I know some maintenance guys and mechanics that wear the latex type rubber gloves all the time....Guess their women can't take the rough hands!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Nice work Craig!! :text-datsphatyo: Things sure are green in your yard. I've almost forgot what its like to see green stuff on the ground! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Actually, the lawn has just started to green up again Matt, was looking a lot like Texas around here for awhile there. :happy-bouncyredfire:

specialwheelhorse

I have a few gear drives and most rebuilt and they are all a bit noisey.

just keep them greased and ignore the noise or wear ear plugs and

enjoy the ride and nice cut. I love my gear drives ! !

JIM IN TEXAS

AMC RULES

To me, this deck doesn't seem noisy when in operation...but I'm now wondering, when rebuilding it...if I got these gears greased enough.

Should they be jam packed with grease as I found them, or is that a condition that happens from the repeated greasings over an extended period of time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_K_ezv2GWw&list=UUd_ptV1TUpPlW1VhCjxez_Q&index=3&feature=plcp

Lane Ranger

Craig: I use my Lawn Ranger deck which has the same gears and grease boxes on it.

My thought is that you need them well greased to operate on the mowing of the grass.

Some of that noise may be coming from the other bearings in the metal casings that the cross

member rod rides on. I think they are clsoed bearings -much like a wheel bearing.

I changed the B1212 Torrington bearings in the spindle housing on mine. All new at one time. I used a 3/4 inch dowell rod to remove the old ones.

I bought a bunch of WWII B-1212 Torrington bearings for $5.00 one day on ebay (about five years ago now) that were still in the oil paper!

Do you have a grease fitting on the top of the gear that the spindle rides on? I would put new ones on if they look bad in any way.

AMC RULES

Yes Lane, I've greased the spindles too.

I'm wondering with regular use, how often should I be regreasing this deck?

squonk

That deck sounds like mine. I think it's due to the gear backlash. Both of my decks had bad cross shaft bearings. They were loose in the stands and also loose on the shaft. My first deck I had to have Buckrancher make me a new shaft. The spot the bearing was supposed to ride was grooved bad. The bearings are not supposed to move side to side on the shaft or stands. This last deck I used loctite on everything. I don't think I got the backlash just right and there is still a little side to side movement. Plus I know there is some play in the bearings on the spindles themselves causing more backlash. I had a junk deck that I tried to get bearings out of the iron carrier just to see how they came out and it was a bear. I'm sure some of my noise is coming from there. I mowed for 8 years as a kid with one of these decks and all The noise I remember was a whirring noise no rattles. I think I only greased it like twice a year.

Lane Ranger

I grease them at the start of and mid-season when mowing.

• Like 1

zieg72

I thought those type should be absolutely packed with grease.

Tankman

I once made a few of the same decks.

Using the cast pieces, new bushing and seals, fabricated the decks from 316 SS. Looked the same but, a magnet wouldn't stick.

I let a dealer attempt to stick a magnet on many parts of the WH, "What is this?"

Tig welded SS flatbar, tapped for the wheels and side covers.

My first experience with Wheel Horses 30-40 years ago. Now, without the material and shop, I weld patches on and paint.

My latest is a 12 hp Raider, '68, with a 48" side discharge deck.