Sign in to follow this  
qakre

Need info

qakre

I am thinking of buying what I think is an early 80s 18 HP, 8 speed WH tractor.

It was repainted green (I can fix that). The engine was replaced last year with a what is described as a nice used engine. Its a Tecumseh,XL extra life Industrail commercial engine. He says it starts right up and runs good. comes with a snow/gravel blade.

I live in the Pacific NW and just want it to haul gravel and landscape bark around my acre and maybe spread gravel around an old logging road behind my yard. He's asking $300 and he is within driving range even with $4.50 gas.

Anything I should watchout for? Are these made in the USA? Should there be parts available? Thanks.

bluetuna08

check the gussets where the frame mounts to the transaxle. I hear that is a tender area if a person has abused a WH with a plow on it.

I think someone around the forum might have pictures...or some more things to look out for.

qakre

Thanks, will do

Kelly

Do a gen. look over of the whole tractor, see how sloppy the steering, is make sure it works in all gears even high low, see if the axles are leaking, check fluid level in the rearend see if it has water in it, I've talked the price down because of that, $300 sounds fair if in usable shape w/blade but ask if they will take less? that way you have a little money to put back into it. Yes USA built, and parts can be had from most Toro dealers, here, or ebay. Just my two cents Kelly

Duff

Did I misread the joining date again, or did we forget to say to qakre, :whistle: !!!!

qakre, if you can get the numbers off the tractor there are a ton of guys here who can guide you through parts locating, repairs, maintenance, good humor and all manner of red tractor wisdom!

Again, B)

Duff B)

T-Mo

B) When you do get this tractor, if you do, we want pictures of this "green" tractor. I hope you will remedy that one quick. :whistle:

qakre

I will try and add a picture, I am going to drive down and take a look at it soon as I can.

Thanks for the hospitality

Attached Image

post-3-1216605502.jpg